Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

M1 cross on front

Article about: someone had seen one like this before ? heat stamp 680C

?

Default M1 cross on front

someone had seen one like this before ? heat stamp 680C
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1 cross on front   M1 cross on front  

M1 cross on front   M1 cross on front  

Looks a bit like a derivation of the Cross of Lorraine? Could the owner have been in the 79th Div?

?

I corrected
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1 cross on front  

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    Looks a bit like a derivation of the Cross of Lorraine? Could the owner have been in the 79th Div?

The Cross of Lorraine (Croix de Lorraine) was my immediate thought too and it did appear on helmets of the 79th in both wars but never that big or crude and usually within an escutcheon (shield) so as this is a fixed loop shell and therefore of earlier vintage I wondered if it might have been worn by a member of the post D-Day popular uprising and was crudely painted with an obvious recognition sign?

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 09-24-2020 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

I would agree with a French Liberation use based on how crude it is. There is a similar one here, similar condition, smaller cross but also a fixed bail.

US M1 Fixed bail for WWII Free French Army - STEEL AND KEVLAR HELMETS - U.S. Militaria Forum - I don't want to steal the images from another forum.

Steve

?

Ok. Thanks a lot.