Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

M1 European copy or American

Article about: Hello, I recently took an astronomically good dead for a helmet. I bought a complete M1 helmet from an antique store for only 3000 denars (50 eur). The seller told me it was Vietnam era, how

?

Question M1 European copy or American

Hello,

I recently took an astronomically good dead for a helmet.
    I bought a complete M1 helmet from an antique store for only 3000 denars (50 eur).
    The seller told me it was Vietnam era, however the helmet cover and liner date say otherwise. Nevertheless, an M1 complete with liner, shell and tarp is a steal for only 50 eur.
    SW 74 is what it says on the liner, and from what I read on this forum SW stands for an European/German manufacturer of helmet liners during and after WW2 (74 of course means 1974)
    What leads me to believe it is American is the shell Itself, It is the flaked M1 variant (like the one Tom Hanks wears in SPR). The shell also has a serial number inside, however I do not know what it means.
    And the fact that it made it's way on the Balkans means it was in the Yugoslav wars.
    All of this is speculation, I would love to hear your thoughts.
    Here are some Pics:

The tarp camo appears to be from the early 70s

Here is the M1 shell number, looks like 12J0H although it might not be a "J"
    Last edited by Paper; 02-25-2023 at 05:28 PM.

Hallo,

the shell is us production.

The liner is belgian. Made bei Schuberth Werke Braunschweig (Germany) in 1974.

Regards

?

Thank you for your comment
    If you can, can you give me some insight on; how an american made shell made it to europe?
    If the texture is sanded or corked, from what period is the shell and possibly identifying the cloth camo (my guess is ERDL but I don't know)

Have a good one!

Lots of US troops in Europe, especially during the Cold War and most NATO armies used M1 clones, so parts often were interchangeable. The cover appears to be a Woodland, there is probably a stamp on the inside of one of the fingers.

?

Thanks for replying,
    there is no stamp on any of the fins of the cover, probably cause it was an European factory that had no English stamps

I think it's a US cover, but the stamp may have faded. Anyway, it was in used from the early 1980's till the end of the M1 helmet.