Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

M1 Front Seam Fixed Bail Helmet with Possible Navy Paint?

Article about: Found this front seam, fixed bail M1 helmet for a good price recently from a surplus seller and wanted to get some more information on it. When I purchased it had a Canadian liner, a camo co

?

Default M1 Front Seam Fixed Bail Helmet with Possible Navy Paint?

Found this front seam, fixed bail M1 helmet for a good price recently from a surplus seller and wanted to get some more information on it. When I purchased it had a Canadian liner, a camo cover, and chinstrap that look to be from the 1980's with the reflective cat eye band. Would that configuration make any sense? I forgot to ask if the seller got the whole thing together or put the various components together to sell. I am interested in the paint and thoughts on whether that is original to the helmet or redone after the war?

I have not been able to locate the heat code as it may be under the grime on the front (Is there a good way to remove this without damaging the paint?). I could not tell based on the shape of the bails if this is a McCord or Schlueter shell? There is a name on the back which looks like Davidson, and a faint number imprinted on the brim inside. It’s hard to make out but looks like 104027. Any help is appreciated!

M1 Front Seam Fixed Bail Helmet with Possible Navy Paint?M1 Front Seam Fixed Bail Helmet with Possible Navy Paint?M1 Front Seam Fixed Bail Helmet with Possible Navy Paint?M1 Front Seam Fixed Bail Helmet with Possible Navy Paint?M1 Front Seam Fixed Bail Helmet with Possible Navy Paint?

The fixed loop look like a Schlueter. Do you have a clear picture of the dimple marks on the front seam?
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

?

Thank you for the reply, I tried to take a picture of the front seam which shows that faint serial number a bit better. I found another dimple on the side of the helmet and took a picture as that one comes through clear, it looks like the band around the helmet was coming off at one point and repaired.

M1 Front Seam Fixed Bail Helmet with Possible Navy Paint?M1 Front Seam Fixed Bail Helmet with Possible Navy Paint?.