Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

M1 Helmet Assistance - Vietnam War,reissued shell?

Article about: Could someone please help me with points on this M1? It came as shown. The cover has clearly been on a while as the chin strap has left a mark. Shell is rear seam,with only two crimp marks t

?

Default M1 Helmet Assistance - Vietnam War,reissued shell?

Could someone please help me with points on this M1?

It came as shown. The cover has clearly been on a while as the chin strap has left a mark.

Shell is rear seam,with only two crimp marks to hold it. Heat stamp is hidden under a few layers of paint. Seems to be 42? Is all that can be seen.

Chin straps are stainless steel fittings,painted OD,no stamps on them.

Liner is dated 14 April 1969. Unsure how to date the sweatband,1973? Same applies for the cover,how do you get the date from the stock number?

The shell has a garish,almost khaki paint job outside. Seems to be a cork texture underneath. Is it a WW2 shell? I believe McCord as I cannot see the S and the crimps do not look circular enough? Anyone know why it would be painted such a horrific colour?!

Any help greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1 Helmet Assistance - Vietnam War,reissued shell?   M1 Helmet Assistance - Vietnam War,reissued shell?  

M1 Helmet Assistance - Vietnam War,reissued shell?   M1 Helmet Assistance - Vietnam War,reissued shell?  

M1 Helmet Assistance - Vietnam War,reissued shell?   M1 Helmet Assistance - Vietnam War,reissued shell?  

Cover is Woodland pattern and dated 1983. I think the shell is late WW2 production, as it has remains of the original corking just above the rim. Looks like a nice helmet with a long career!

Hello,

this is a so-called "Frankenstein". Original parts assembled from different eras. Worn as well until the 1980s.

The helmet shell is WW2 production and was often painted over. I have never seen this light color before.

The P 1964 Liner is from 1969.

The cover is from 1983 and the sweat band from 1973.

Most interesting are the chin straps. These are early pieces from the 1950s to the early 1960s.

It depends what you want to do with it. Individual parts can safely be used to assemble a homogeneous helmet.

Regards
    Last edited by Sleepwalker; 11-14-2021 at 07:12 PM.

?

Thank you for the replies.

An interesting piece of history! 40's-80's with something from all!!

I was thinking of getting a Mitchell cover for it,but not much else. Any other thoughts? Why do these so rarely have the nape strap,disliked?

I may move it on for a Schuleter shell with original chin straps. If I can find the right one!

?

M1 Helmet Assistance - Vietnam War,reissued shell?M1 Helmet Assistance - Vietnam War,reissued shell?M1 Helmet Assistance - Vietnam War,reissued shell?

I lucked in on this liner via FB. It's a Westinghouse Micarta,1961 dated. Good solid condition,but the A washers have rusted out.

Is it worth getting a contact to replace these, keeping the webbing? The nape section is too far gone. Is it worth replacing or leaving as is? I'd like to get a suitable cover,bit feel repro is the only option in my budget.