Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M1 helmet early heat stamp and St Clair liner

Article about: Hi guys here is the second M1 I promised to show. The helmet is a fixed bale, front seam McCord and has a very early heat stamp of 32A 1 (July/August 1941) which makes this a pre war M1 Rese

Default M1 helmet early heat stamp and St Clair liner

Hi guys here is the second M1 I promised to show. The helmet is a fixed bale, front seam McCord and has a very early heat stamp of 32A 1 (July/August 1941) which makes this a pre war M1 Researching up on these heat stamp numbers, apparently the first production of M1s had a heat stamp number of 25A. This makes sense as McCord were producing the Kelly helmets before they started the M1 and I do own a McCord manufactured Kelly helmet with the heat stamp number of 23A.
    The helmet has the brass sharp milled J hook and the M1917A1 Kelly helmet brass cast raised bar buckle. These were left over stock from the M1917A1 Kelly helmet production run (waste not want not). The helmet although slightly salty/rusty looking has a great look and you can see ghosting on the the front brim where the liner chin strap was.
    I have paired up this M1 with a St. Clair liner as this helmet would most likely have had a Hawley or a St. Clair when first issued. The St. Clair Rubber company received the first contract for 500,000 liners on January 31, 1942. The liner I have is from this first production run as it has been painted on the inside as well as the outside. The painting of the inside of the liner was dropped on the second production run probably to save on cost. The paint was prone to flaking and came in a variety of green gloss, semi gloss and matt. The liner has the white rayon suspension but this has long since yellowed over time and has a lot of rust bleed from the rectangular steel washers. It still has its fixed leather chinstrap riveted into the liner which has long since rusted solid and can't be moved. You can see on the pictures that the low pressure process used to make the liners left a rough uneven texture. The liner as you can see has the mark SC in yellow in the crown to identify it as a St. Clair liner.
    If I've missed anything out let me know and thanks for looking guys
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1 helmet early heat stamp and St Clair liner   M1 helmet early heat stamp and St Clair liner  

M1 helmet early heat stamp and St Clair liner   M1 helmet early heat stamp and St Clair liner  

M1 helmet early heat stamp and St Clair liner   M1 helmet early heat stamp and St Clair liner  

Great early helmet. Thanks for posting. John O.

Thanks Ian for sharing,
    nice helmet with a great and detailed description, very useful information on heat stamp; I own a McCord "Kelly" helmet with 19A stamp.

Regards
    Roberto

I'll get me coat now Lol.

Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    I'll get me coat now Lol.
    If it's any consolation Jake I'm literally skint now but it's 2 more helmets off my bucket list. Got my eye on a late WW2 M1C which was probably used post war but don't know what the asking price is yet from the seller. Please put the coat back on the hook

Oh my, wow that is another superb set Ian, really both sets are first class, please include me within your will.
    It is nice that you and Jake both have quality examples on our shores and share them on this fantastic website.
    Steve.

Well said Steve.

I didn't read the thread properly,thought the set was originally mated,those green inner painted St Clair's are awesome Bud.always wanted a prefix McCord with either the number 1 or 3 after the letter,awesome shell purchase.

Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    I didn't read the thread properly,thought the set was originally mated,those green inner painted St Clair's are awesome Bud.always wanted a prefix McCord with either the number 1 or 3 after the letter,awesome shell purchase.
    With already owning a Hawley liner with an early heat stamped McCord it made sense to pair it with this St. Clair liner

think overall Ian you are miles ahead of me on numbers,but who's counting Lol.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast