Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

M1 helmet restoration questions

Article about: Good day everyone! I recently purchased an m1 off eBay that needs a little bit of care. The inside has a major rust spot with a couple tiny pin holes going through. I was wondering if anyone

Default M1 helmet restoration questions

Good day everyone! I recently purchased an m1 off eBay that needs a little bit of care. The inside has a major rust spot with a couple tiny pin holes going through. I was wondering if anyone on here has some advice on repair. I don't want to really repaint and do. Full restoration as the rest of the exterior is in decent shape, decent amount of the corking is still left. However, as you can see from the photo of the exterior, I believe this helmet has already been repainted before. There is definite pitting in the metal over the rust spot on the outside, and the paint on the inside does not match the outside. If anyone has any advice on small restoration I'd appreciate hearing it, thank you!

My opinnion.
    10 minutes in mild Oxalic acid, clean with soapwater, after this cover it with beewax. Smells for 2 months, but will have wax coating against rust.
    Antique wax makes things Shinier.

Buuut

Major rust is only in inside. Clean it with gun cleaning oil + rags. Don't do anything to outside.
    WD-40 oil tends to make paint surfaces lighter in color tone. I don't recommend it. Easiest way to make your helmet paler.

Thank you! I appreciate it! Luckily I do have some gun oil laying around

MAP
    ?

I'd leave it as is. Rust in non active and on the inside.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I would not be tempted to repaint it as this adds nothing to the lid but just makes it look like a freshly painted one with no character. The colour looks ok, treat the rust as mentioned already. Display and enjoy!

Hi Friend ... I just had this conversation with a kid in Hawaii. He wanted a "Project" to do for the summer so he wanted to use a perfectly used and beat up untouched WWII Helmet and Liner. Many of as collectors don't really mess with or clean any of our pieces in any way. "Untouched" is what we want So restoration and all that is kind of something else. No problem with it ... just not what we Helmet Collectors do. Re Enacting / Restoring / Etc is just a different Facet of Militaria is all. Also hurts the Value if you ever get any investment grade pieces. I personally would leave your helmet the way it is. Looks just like it should
    Z

Thank you, I would definitely never alter a perfectly good piece of history. I respect them and try not to alter something for reenacting or a shelf piece. My only issue with this one however is that the photo doesn't do the rust spot justice. There are multiple pin holes bringing light in from the outside, so the metal in the area is rather thin, and there is a definite indent where the rust has eaten away at least half of the thickness, some places more. I don't want to alter the helmet from what it is, rather maintain it and keep it protected for decades to come. I would like to only touch up the interior, maybe clean up the rust and put some sort of waterproof coating like wax or a spray. Hope that clears it up!

MAP
    ?

I get it. No worries. My only point is that the rust does not seem to be active, so leaving it alone and in stable humidity, it should not deteriorate any further, hence my recommendation to leave it as is.

But a thin coat of Ren Wax or Bee's wax on the inside will not do any harm.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)