Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

M1 helmet with thinner rim and weird stamp?

Article about: Hello everyone, I recently purchased another m1 helmet for my collection off eBay, cant get enough of them, but when it finally arrived I was looking over the helmet and realized it had a fe

Default M1 helmet with thinner rim and weird stamp?

Hello everyone, I recently purchased another m1 helmet for my collection off eBay, cant get enough of them, but when it finally arrived I was looking over the helmet and realized it had a few distinct qualities, first being the thinner rim, I put it next to one of my other M1's and the rim is about 25% smaller. Secondly something being stamped on the actual rim, the stamp saying "ABI or AB1 82 Us Lot 1". Finally looking at the chinstraps there is no markings. I also got a Korean era liner with this helmet sporting partial 34th infantry markings.

Is the actual helmet a Euro clone? Any help is apperciated and I hope you all have a pleasant day.

M1 helmet with thinner rim and weird stamp?M1 helmet with thinner rim and weird stamp?M1 helmet with thinner rim and weird stamp?M1 helmet with thinner rim and weird stamp?M1 helmet with thinner rim and weird stamp?M1 helmet with thinner rim and weird stamp?M1 helmet with thinner rim and weird stamp?M1 helmet with thinner rim and weird stamp?

Shell is Belgian. Stamp says ABL 82 (Armée Belge/Belgisch Leger 1982) Us (Heinrich Ulbrichts Witwe, Schwanenstadt) - being the Austria company that produced the shell.

Thanks for informing me, I greatly appreciate it!

Hello,

yes, the shell is a belgian Casque Mle. 1951, a slightly modified / improved helmet based on the US M1.

the Liner is made by Westinghouse/Capac manufactured from 1953 until sometime before 1956. The dates only refer to the date of manufacture of the molds for manufacture. These are not the actual manufacturing years.
    Early liners on this production line have OD-colored metal parts. Later black ones. Yours has black ones.

The liner did not see the Korean conflict, more likely Vietnam.

Neckband and sweatband are from later production from 1956, as they were no longer made in HBT.

Thanks so much, very insightful!