Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

M1 helmet w westinghouse liner - markings unknown

Article about: Hi Guys Here's one I picked up a few weeks back. Its a Well Preserved Front Seam Swivel Loop McCord. I took a picture of the helmet steel batch number but hard to decipher. This was posted t

Default M1 helmet w westinghouse liner - markings unknown

Hi Guys
    Here's one I picked up a few weeks back. Its a Well Preserved Front Seam Swivel Loop McCord. I took a picture of the helmet steel batch number but hard to decipher. This was posted to USMF as well and not too many people recognized this blue diamond with the number "2" on it. It could be a million things people commented. I haven't seen this designation myself. This one has a Westinghouse liner in great condition but missing a sweatband and Liner strap. Steel clasp and J Hook with OD7 straps is on the helmet itself. Thanks for lookin and happy New Year!
    Z

I caught it in the Light ....Looks like 404A ..... and even though I don't see an "S" I am thinking now this is a Schlueter shell not a McCord as originally I thought. Round small welds on the rim as opposed to McCord Oval and the Lot Number 404A... though not an exact science would match up way better for this configuration. Shell shape itself I have trouble telling the diff btwn McCord and Schlueter.

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1 helmet w westinghouse liner - markings unknown  

It does look like a Schlueter. Nice pickup and sorry to say a marking I’ve never seen before. I hope others can help, I would really like to know myself.

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Thanks Marty and hope you had a great Christmas w the family. Was making my poor Girlfriend watch the Pacific and thought of you....Syd Phillips and Eugene Sledge .... Bama boyz.
    Z

I don't recognise the flash either but from general military experienc, to me it has a look of some kind of "intra unit" marking rather than a formation sign or unit recognition sign. The kind of thing that relates to a sub-unit or team where it is important to immediately recognise the specific role of the wearer rather than the person or his unit especially as it is on the front and has a kind of "workshops" look to it. I think that sort of thing would be more likely in Naval or Airforce units perhaps? Just a thought.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Thank you Mark. Naval did ring a bell as well as we know not all Naval helmets were blue or grey. And now that I think this is a Schlueter I have found a huge correlation between Schlueter Swivels and Navy lids (have a few of them) but that’s neither here nor there I guess. It does look a little better applied as per the workshop comment as opposed to a field marking. I can see it for sure. I am unfamiliar w any type of Air Force lids so I couldn’t comment on that. I appreciate the observations.
    Z

Also slightly Navy Type stencil on the Liner on back (faint “64”). If indeed they are a set. I can’t tell.

Quote by PaddyD00 View Post
    Also slightly Navy Type stencil on the Liner on back (faint “64”). If indeed they are a set. I can’t tell.
    Yes, I was thinking in particular of the members of a gun crew (in the UK forces the members of a gun crew tend to referred to as "Gun Numbers" and separately as No1, No2 etc) or such like.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

...Syd Phillips and Eugene Sledge .... Bama boyz.
    Z[/QUOTE]

LOL both from Mobile but Sledge taught at the University of Montevallo which is down the road from me. We have been watching BOB.

Marty

If you haven’t read the book “with the old breed” I highly recommend the book.
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Deffo a Schlueter