Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M1 helmets Cork Vs Sand

Article about: i was always told cork for ww2

Default M1 helmets Cork Vs Sand

Hello,
    Some people on the forum do not know what cork texture is on m1, to me it hard to explain.
    It basically more chucker finish then sand. Sand texture is more grainer and rough.(if some one can explain it better then me, feel free to comment)

Like some people say pictures tell better story then words.

-Derrick
    P.S. If someone has better picture for sand finish please post. One i have is a refurbished front seam M1 with sand texture and not in best of condition.

So here example of cork texture!

M1 helmets Cork Vs SandM1 helmets Cork Vs SandM1 helmets Cork Vs SandM1 helmets Cork Vs Sand

Default Re: M1 helmets Cork Vs Sand

Here a sand finish, not best of condition.
    M1 helmets Cork Vs Sand

?

i can offer these pics for the sand/silica finish again not in the best of shape i'll see what else i can dig up
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1 helmets Cork Vs Sand   M1 helmets Cork Vs Sand  

Attached Images Attached Images M1 helmets Cork Vs Sand 

?

heres some more examples of corking
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1 helmets Cork Vs Sand   M1 helmets Cork Vs Sand  

M1 helmets Cork Vs Sand  

?

here's some more sand/silica finishes

M1 helmets Cork Vs Sand   M1 helmets Cork Vs Sand  

M1 helmets Cork Vs Sand  

Pictures hardly do the trick for this in my opinion. The best way to tell is to feel a WWII corked M1 and a Vietnam War sanded M1, and learn the tactile difference between the two.

?

the sand/silica finish is made up of smaller particles compared to the corking finish if i had to describe it i would say its like feeling a fine grade sandpaper were as corking is chunkier & not as dens as the sand finish.

that's the best way i can describe it ?

Corking, while new and fresh, could be rough, sharp and prickly like the sand. But it would often loose its rough texture for a somewhat smoother feel after heavy use. If you look at some, you can see where much of it was "flattened" by use, creating for lack of better terms, plateau like resemblance. Especially the larger chunks of it. And the consistency of the cork didn't seem to be as uniform as the sand/silica from my observations. Some lids have larger pieces of corking others smaller that can almost appear to be sand.

Frantz, your sample of "silica" looks more like corking to me?

The silica one is partialy cork, but more sand. It a referbished helmet.
    Thanks to Nick D We have a better example of sandy.

Quote by ObKrieger View Post
    Pictures hardly do the trick for this in my opinion. The best way to tell is to feel a WWII corked M1 and a Vietnam War sanded M1, and learn the tactile difference between the two.
    I'm 100% in agreeance with MO, the best way to tell is with feel. Photos can be very deceiving as they can be taken at very different magnifications...zooming in on sand texture can make the grains look very large and coupld possibly lead one to believe it is cork.

Once you feel a dozen or so textured lids you can almost ID their period with your eyes closed, the two textures share no similarities in feel in my opinion. As HoovieDude stated, a freshly corked lid my have sharper edges however, the the size of the cork is far larger than a grain of silica sand. Also, sand texture does not wear down like the cork texture does. Put out a few differetn M-1's and do a blind test, I bet you get them all correct!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast