Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

M1 Identification - Vietnam Liner? Unknown shell.

Article about: Hey guys. Recently purchased this M1, however I am unsure of its era. I know that the webbing on the liner is from 1968, but that is all I could definitively identify. Any thoughts? It is re

Question M1 Identification - Vietnam Liner? Unknown shell.

Hey guys. Recently purchased this M1, however I am unsure of its era. I know that the webbing on the liner is from 1968, but that is all I could definitively identify. Any thoughts? It is rear seam. The only marking I could find was a "4" on the inside of the helmet. Additionally, the chinstrap might be a replacement or look a little off (as it has rivet snaps). As I am a new collector, I jumped at the opportunity for this helmet as it was priced fairly. However, I am unsure of the authenticity of the shell, though I am confident that the liner (or at least the webbing...) is legit. Please feel free to leave any comments or share and thoughts. See the attached photos. If more pictures are wanted, I can take them and attach them.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1 Identification - Vietnam Liner? Unknown shell.   M1 Identification - Vietnam Liner? Unknown shell.  

M1 Identification - Vietnam Liner? Unknown shell.   M1 Identification - Vietnam Liner? Unknown shell.  

M1 Identification - Vietnam Liner? Unknown shell.   M1 Identification - Vietnam Liner? Unknown shell.  

The liner does appear to be a Vietnam to post war used liner. The chinstraps on the helmet are indicative of the 1980’s. The helmet looks to be from the same era. I would like to see a better picture of the marking in the helmet and I do know it is hard to focus on it sometimes. Is there any markings on the side of the helmet near the swivel loops?

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

tank destroyer, ill check momentarily. however, the "4" is the only (visible, there may have been something that wore off) marking on the inside of the shell.

The removable suspension liner was introduced in 1972, as was the chinstrap with chin cup.

Hello,

this liner with the removable inner part (spider) was also introduced in 1972.

The shell with this rust-red primer is IMO RJ Stampings from 1970.

After DLA 100- next number should be year of the liner.

The DLA numbers ran from 1978 to 1993. Vince

Yes the chin strap is from the 1980s in fact when I was in the Army they had us replace the old chin strap with this newer version in the early 80s