Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

M1 Lieutenant insignia.

Article about: Hello, has this insignia a chance to be original on this helmet ? It appears to be glued. The helmet itself is ww2 era. Thank you.

?

Default M1 Lieutenant insignia.

Hello, has this insignia a chance to be original on this helmet ? It appears to be glued. The helmet itself is ww2 era.
    Thank you.
    M1 Lieutenant insignia.
    M1 Lieutenant insignia.
    M1 Lieutenant insignia.
    M1 Lieutenant insignia.
    M1 Lieutenant insignia.
    M1 Lieutenant insignia.

I believe your concerns are the same ones I would have. First, let me say I do not like the wear on the edges of the bar and to me it looks like someone was trying to age the bar, note the scratches on the helmet above the bar. For me that would be a negative. I haven’t studied officer device attachment practices on helmets but most were soldered on the helmet I don’t know if I’ve ever heard of one glued on a helmet. Wait for others to reply.

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Quote by tank destroyer View Post
    I believe your concerns are the same ones I would have. First, let me say I do not like the wear on the edges of the bar and to me it looks like someone was trying to age the bar, note the scratches on the helmet above the bar. For me that would be a negative. I haven’t studied officer device attachment practices on helmets but most were soldered on the helmet I don’t know if I’ve ever heard of one glued on a helmet. Wait for others to reply.

Marty
    I tend to agree. It isn't something I have really studied either but I have always understood that officers insignia on the M1 was always attached by soldering. I have read the term "welded" but I doubt that as the degree of heat required/generated by any kind of welding would most likely ruin the insignia and compromise the temper of the steel shell whereas high melting point solder can be used without either issue.

It is also worth noting that most glues of today would not bond firmly enough to withstand helmet field use and I can't think of any period adhesive that would have a chance.

Also, as Marty points out; the wear on the insignia and immediately adjacent to it is really quite bizarre.

Wait for a specialst opinion from one of the M1 aficionados but I don't like it

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

Thank you for your opinions.