Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M1 Mosquito cover, original?

Article about: Hello, I wanted to ask you about the originality of this mosquito-type helmet cover. I am not very knowledgeable on this subject and I am sure that one of you can help me. All the best.

Default M1 Mosquito cover, original?

Hello, I wanted to ask you about the originality of this mosquito-type helmet cover. I am not very knowledgeable on this subject and I am sure that one of you can help me. All the best.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1 Mosquito cover, original?   M1 Mosquito cover, original?  

Attached Images Attached Images M1 Mosquito cover, original? 

I am not certain, but I don't think this type of mosquito helmet cover is the same as the WW2 types. There was a M-1942 type that was suspending from the helmet brim and a M-1944 type that fitted over the crown of the helmet. As far as I can recall neither were in camouflage pattern. I think yours may be from the 1950-60s. Others will chime in. Nice find, not often seen in the Northern hemisphere either way.

Hello,

I don't see anything that would bother me. In my opinion, a chronological classification is hardly possible with these helmet covers.
    They can come from WW2 or from the 1960s/1970s.

As far as I know, this equipment was not issued officially. I have never seen a contract number or a manufacturer on any of these covers.

Regards

Thank you for your answers. From what I have been able to find out, this would be a third model, used more in Vietnam. These photos were from a store that sells it. I finally bought one in the United States through Ebay. When it arrives, I'll leave you photos on the helmet to see how it looks. All the best

These photos are of the one I finally acquired. I think it is the same model.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1 Mosquito cover, original?   M1 Mosquito cover, original?  

Attached Images Attached Images M1 Mosquito cover, original? 

I agree that it does look like a post WW2 version from the pictures.

This type of cover was used extensvily by the Marine Corps in the years 1946 till 1950 in Indonesia. The Dutch Marines were completely equiped by the US. Actually they were meant to participate in the war against Japan. The men were recruited in The Netherlands in late 1944 and early 1945.

The war against Japan ended before they saw action and were consequently rerouted to still Japanese occupied Dutch East Indies.

The cover you have was very common in the Marine Brigade. It was used as a regular helmet cover with the mosquito mesh tucked in.

I enclose a foto of a Dutch used cover from the exellent site; Dutchhelmets.nl

Cheers,
    Emile

Korporaal der mariniers Albert Hoeben MWO, wearing this type of cover on his M1 helmet, Dutch East-Indies 1946-1947.

Here you have three examples of soldiers with the mosquito holster in Vietnam. The photo in which he appears next to another soldier with an M1 helmet is from the Korean War, where it was also used.

Attached Images Attached Images M1 Mosquito cover, original?  M1 Mosquito cover, original? 

I have read a trick in a forum so that the cover is well placed on the helmet and it is to wet it when putting it on so that it is well attached. I'll try it when the cover arrives.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast