Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

M2/D-Loop Helmet - Fresh out of the Woodwork

Article about: Hi All, Thought I would share this recent find, right out of the woodwork, courtesy of FB Market Place. An original M2 (D-Loop/Airborne) Helmet. Sadly, one of the loops and both chinstraps a

?

Default M2/D-Loop Helmet - Fresh out of the Woodwork

Hi All,
    Thought I would share this recent find, right out of the woodwork, courtesy of FB Market Place. An original M2 (D-Loop/Airborne) Helmet.

Sadly, one of the loops and both chinstraps are missing, but beggars can't be choosers. Lot # is 228, which is well within the range for a D-loop.

Liner is a non-Airborne Westinghouse. I's seen better days, however is completed, minus the leather chinstrap.

The shell is named, and the liner has a laundry mark. The name in the shell matches the name of the sellers cousin. I also have his dog tag, which was issued in 1948 (he was around 18 at the time), and has a spelling error to the last name. The seller confirmed the cousin served during the Korean War. So I can only surmise that this was the helmet issued to him during his service. Odd, but plausible.

The laundry mark, which appears to be G3607 returns about 51 records, so a bit of research is needed.

In any case, photos below. Feedback good or bad is welcomed. Thanks!

First up, the shell:

?

The liner:

Laundry mark inverted colors and original.

And lastly, the dog tag:

Don’t know why these don’t attract much interest on here considering how rare they are, perhaps people aren’t sure about them because of all the fakes. Nothing wrong with this one apart from the straps, looks like it has its original factory paint to boot.
    I would like to congratulate you managing to get one of these of your tick list. I have followed your other thread on usmf, good stuff! I think there is a good chance this was issued after the war. There was a m2 on here last year which looked like it had been issued to a polish guard.
    Well done
    Rod

?

Quote by plumbob View Post
    Don’t know why these don’t attract much interest on here considering how rare they are, perhaps people aren’t sure about them because of all the fakes. Nothing wrong with this one apart from the straps, looks like it has its original factory paint to boot.
    I would like to congratulate you managing to get one of these of your tick list. I have followed your other thread on usmf, good stuff! I think there is a good chance this was issued after the war. There was a m2 on here last year which looked like it had been issued to a polish guard.
    Well done
    Rod
    Thanks, Rod. I appreciate the kind words!

I guess there's not really much to say about the helmet. It is what it is. Usually the comments blow up when the helmet is questionable, but this one is pretty straight forward. I can't complain about that, I guess!

I agree that this was likely a post-war reissue to Lannan/Lannon. Only plausible explanation.

Thanks again!

On my wish list for decades! Great find, congrats. Jim G.

?

Quote by helmet2id View Post
    On my wish list for decades! Great find, congrats. Jim G.
    Thanks, Jim! Much appreciated!

Noyce find Eric!!!!

Eric,

A great piece.. I would be happy to add this to my collection..

Well done

Smitty

?

Thanks, gentlemen!