Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

My latest M1

Article about: Hi Guy's. Here is my latest M1 ( arrived yesterday) The liner is Firestone, with the A steel washers,and head band spring clips painted Olive drab. c 1943-1944, I believe. Quite chuffed as t

Default My latest M1

Hi Guy's.

Here is my latest M1 ( arrived yesterday)

The liner is Firestone, with the A steel washers,and head band spring clips painted Olive drab. c 1943-1944, I believe.
    Quite chuffed as this is the first lid I have bought that's 90% complete, therefore the nape strap is a bonus feature to me.

The lid it's self has no chinstrap's, which is a bummer, but I will look through my box of spares and see what I got!

It appears to have some sort of rank / marking on the front,which is silver in colour. This one is unusual to me at least, in that the bales are only temp attached, (only welded on the Middle part,the outside weld's were not attatched as far as i can work out) and has a weld spot/dimple opposite the bales,on the stainless rim.

Enjoy ,any comments, observations or any more info would be great , cheers Guy's.

Gaz
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My latest M1   My latest M1  

My latest M1   My latest M1  

?

Default Re: My latest M1

thats a nice one mate the heat stamp looks to be 34c or 343c & looks like it may have been a fixed bail version before being converted to the swivel version at a later date

as for the rank marks i would say post war if you say they're silver in colour ??????

Wink Re: My latest M1

Quote by NickD View Post
    thats a nice one mate the heat stamp looks to be 34c or 343c & looks like it may have been a fixed bail version before being converted to the swivel version at a later date

as for the rank marks i would say post war if you say they're silver in colour ??????
    Thanks, quite chuffed with this one, it's a bit beat up....but I prefer 'em this way.
    I've had another look at the heat stamp outside in the sun, I think it's 341G or maybe C, very faint this one normally they are as clear as a bell.
    And the marking is metallic silver...., post war????
    I would like to research these fixed bale/swivel bale lids further.
    The delivery was sloooooooooowwwww, but worth it.( the sellers pic's did'nt do this one justice really, hence it was cheap)
    But would have even better with the chinstraps, looks like I am rumaging through my parts box this afternoon!!!

Cheers Nick

Gaz

?

did you get this one off the US ebay ??????

Quote by NickD View Post
    did you get this one off the US ebay ??????
    Hi.

No from the UK, but I'm considering a purchase from the US, it's a VN lid, look's good!

I'm torn between WW2 and VN at present ,in terms of collecting There's also a VN lid on Uk ebay I'm watching at present, in the small print it's a Front seam ....£11.00 so far!!!!

?

good luck mate

i would like to collect more WW2 era M-1's that are complete as im now done with VN era lids i think ive got enough of these now but when ever any come up i just dont have the money

Quote by NickD View Post
    good luck mate

i would like to collect more WW2 era M-1's that are complete as im now done with VN era lids i think ive got enough of these now but when ever any come up i just dont have the money
    Hi.

Yeah I know what you mean, this one was a " Watcher" , which I got for a bargain, so on this occasion I got lucky ,because it was literally £3.00 over my budget of £30.00. But as before it's not about the cash, for me it's the buzz of researching and finding out what I got.

?

first thing i do is try & see if there are any faded names / numbers any where on the inside as not all sellers look for these & alot of the times miss it completely

Quote by NickD View Post
    first thing i do is try & see if there are any faded names / numbers any where on the inside as not all sellers look for these & alot of the times miss it completely
    Hi Mate.

Good tip, most of the time I take out the sweatband's to see if they are named, most of the 70's-80's I have got with lids have been.......but not any WW2 one's.......yet!!!!!!