Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Named M1 Vietnam Helmet

Article about: Hello Everyone, This was my first helmet ever, the one who introduced me to the passion on collecting militaria. It was purchased on Vietnam by my grandparents, back when most of this stuff

Default Named M1 Vietnam Helmet

Hello Everyone,

This was my first helmet ever, the one who introduced me to the passion on collecting militaria. It was purchased on Vietnam by my grandparents, back when most of this stuff was real and not cheap copies or surplus. As you can see, it's in rough shape: missing chin and neck straps.

The only thing with a name was the helmet band ("SMITH" USMC on the front; "RUSH" on the back), and the helmet cover with a "CHIEF" written in red marker (more distinguishable on the other side of the cover).

But today I decided to take some of the dust off it, when to my surprise I noticed some writing inside the head band. It says "BLACK (?) ROBERT C".

So, taking into account the surname Smith, that would make the name "BLACK (?) ROBERT C. SMITH". I dont have much hope finding it's original owner, since there's a high chance the helmet band was replaced or reused to complete the helmet, but I'm hopeful.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Named M1 Vietnam Helmet   Named M1 Vietnam Helmet  

Named M1 Vietnam Helmet   Named M1 Vietnam Helmet  

Named M1 Vietnam Helmet  

Nice setup lid. The helmet is a Ingersoll, the cover is a 77 dated postwar Vietnam cover and the sweatband is dated 74. The elastic bands as well as everything else was reused.

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Thanks!

I suspected the cover was a later variant, but I was not sure. Also, is the steel pot period related to the Vietnam era? And what about the elastic band?

Yet again, Many thanks!

The helmet is correct for Vietnam. Is there any factory writing on the band?
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

MAP
    ?

I don't think there is any correlation between the name on the elastic band and the name inside the helmet.

Nice helmet though. Not bad for your first one!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

A nice "like a Vietnam" example, but the cover is clearly 1977 made so well after Vietnam war period, so unlikely to have been bought there. It is likely to be just a construction of unrelated parts, but nice for display purposes.