Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New to M1s anyone have some tips

Article about: I bought a nice M1 helmet. Netting probably isnt original. From reading what I can find on the net split front swivel bale. Has some numbers stamped in the front inside. Liner is a Westingho

3rdky
    ?

Default New to M1s anyone have some tips

I bought a nice M1 helmet. Netting probably isnt original. From reading what I can find on the net split front swivel bale. Has some numbers stamped in the front inside. Liner is a Westinghouse. Looks unissued. I'll post some pictures later.
    Are these being faked and if they are how do you tell the fakes from originals. I seen mention of fake chinstraps how do you tell these? I know to smell the German helmets to see if they been repainted this one doesnt smell. Sweet looking helmet if its original. Also how do you tell if its WW2 or later? Did any WW2 survive unissued? I had one when I was a kid but it wasnt in good shape. Dad bought it for 5 bucks. Sadly dont have it anymore but still have a Navy Gunners helmet he bought me as a kid.
    Thanks Michel

?

Default Re: New to M1s anyone have some tips

i'll try & help as much as i can but woiuld help greatly if you get some pic's up

standard US M-1's arent really being faked as such but you can buy reconditioned ones, i have seen on other forums people have gotten hold of unissued M-1's that are still in near perfect condition. being front seemed is always a good sign as these are of WW2 era & fake chin straps some times have a fuzzy look to them but i will be able to help more with pic's

3rdky
    ?

Here are some pictures.

Its a nice helmet. Seen another in the same condition this weekend. Other was double what I paid for this one. Even if its rebuilt it looks awsome and I didnt get hurt.
    Michael

partisan42
    ?

Hi Michel,

I would say this one has been redone. The chinstrap should be tan, not OD and the material looks wrong. The suspension looks too clean, even if it was unissued. No signs of age anywhere. Are there any markings anywhere on the suspension? I do not like the paint on the shell too much either. Usually you should look for more of a brown toned OD. In my opinion this is redone M1.

3rdky
    ?

Thanks Matt your probably right. No markings on the suspension. Liner shell is Westinghouse and marked so. I'm a newby so still learning. Does appear the shell and liner are original unless they are reseeming them. Its stainless steel. Looks good. I have a M40 German helmet that is original and unissued it shows paint loss and crossion in the dome from storage. This one doesnt. No patina. Impulse buy since I wanted one to put buy my M40. I'll keep it until one comes up at a yardsale thats nice and not restored.
    Michael
    Michael

Even if it has been re-done, it's still a nice looking display piece. Personally, I'd remove the netting

Lee

?

Quote by partisan42 View Post
    Hi Michel,

I would say this one has been redone. The chinstrap should be tan, not OD and the material looks wrong. The suspension looks too clean, even if it was unissued. No signs of age anywhere. Are there any markings anywhere on the suspension? I do not like the paint on the shell too much either. Usually you should look for more of a brown toned OD. In my opinion this is redone M1.
    WHAT???? First, both the Khaki and Green are referred to as Olive Drab. There is the early suspension: OD #3 and the later suspension: OD #7. The same is true with the Chin Straps. The helmet in question here is: OD #7. Incidentally, OD #7 was used later in WWII production so, it can't be ignored when determining if this one is from WWII. Recently a large number of "unissued" late WWII swivel loop front seam helmets were found and have been hitting the market. These things were found in mint condition still in the original boxes that they were packed in. Thus, they have no aging to them. The paint, the cork texture and everything else about this one looks legit. Even the OD hardware on the leather liner strap looks original. The net is the only thing questionable to me.

Also, someone said that to tell if the helmet was repro or not that you should "smell it". That would be a good indicator if it was painted yesterday but, it proves nothing if it were painted a year ago so, that smell test thing is a waste of time and you end up looking silly smelling your helmet.

This looks to be a nice legit "unissued" helmet. My suggestion to everyone who is new to helmet collecting is that before you buy anymore helmets, pickup some reference books on the subject, educate yourself, look at other known legitimate helmets before you invest your hard earned money on these. In the long run, the money spent will save you thousands of dollars.

Nice unissued helmet !

The netting may well be repro, but suits the total "look"
    I'd leave it just the way it is....

Regards,

Steve.

3rdky
    ?

I thank everyone for the information. After taking this helmet apart and comparing it to a late M1 pot I have this has to be unissued. Reason is pitting would still show on the inside plus dents and dings so a restorer would have to get these out and would be hard to do. This helmet is smooth inside and you can make out the numbers stamped in the front showing through the paint like the German M40 I have. The liner has no scratches or signs of use on its interior. Would be hard to do that when restoring a liner. Most M1s I have seen have rusty pitted interiors since they were used as many things besides a helmet. My late pot is like that dented and heavly pitted on its interior. I was thrown off by the lack of patina except on the liner chinstrap which has cracks in the leather but if stored right wouldnt show. Where were these unissed helmets found and how did they survive being issued during Korea and Nam? I didnt know anyone had any books out on the M1. I have books on German helmets and would love to add a book on American helmets if there is one out there. Thanks again for the help I liked the helmet and why I bought it. Now to find a decent WW1 US helmet.
    Michael

?

Check this link for a complete list of books dealing with U.S. helmets: Helmet Reference Book Guide - U.S. Militaria Forum

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast