Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Nurse 1st Cav Occupation m1 fixed loop helmet

Article about: I generally do not collect Occupation helmets but this one is very special. This helmet is a fixed loop McCord with a Capac liner. The configuration is not what makes this helmet special. Th

Default Nurse 1st Cav Occupation m1 fixed loop helmet

I generally do not collect Occupation helmets but this one is very special.
    This helmet is a fixed loop McCord with a Capac liner. The configuration is not what makes this helmet special.
    This is a 1st Cav division helmet that was painted in the Philippines for Occupation duty in Japan. The helmet was given to Army Nurse 2nd Lt. Bernice A. Bryan, due to her helmet being badly damaged. You can still see in the helmet soap Residue.
    The liner has another set of initials on the inside and the liner has had a repaint.

Nurse helmets are hard to find and 1st Cav Occupation helmets are even harder. Most Cav helmets were painted over when they left Japan heading to Korea at the start on the war.
    The painted patch on the helmet is not the best looking that I’ve seen but In hand it’s right as rain. I’m still researching everything and have been working on it for a month.
    There is so much else to be said but I will leave the rest for later.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Nurse 1st Cav Occupation m1 fixed loop helmet   Nurse 1st Cav Occupation m1 fixed loop helmet  

Nurse 1st Cav Occupation m1 fixed loop helmet   Nurse 1st Cav Occupation m1 fixed loop helmet  

Nurse 1st Cav Occupation m1 fixed loop helmet   Nurse 1st Cav Occupation m1 fixed loop helmet  

Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Nurse 1st Cav Occupation m1 fixed loop helmet

I never believe a story unless I have proof. I know the lineage of the helmet, I know where she died in proximity to the collector/collection it came from in California. The military script matches the story. I do not know the hospital in which she served.

?

Fantastic find, Marty!
    What a truly remarkable example this is.
    Her original helmet ‘was badly damaged’? I’d love to know the story behind that.
    I’m guessing she is the one in the middle, with the .45. Quite a gal.
    Well done. You are saving some wonderful history, sir.
    All the very best,
    Rob

MAP
    ?

Sweet find Marty

Great looking helmet and like Bob I love the photo with the middle woman with the 45 too!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thank you Rob and Michael. It’s a rare bird and one that I’ve had my eye on for 4 months.
    The nurse photo is still under valuation. Lt Bryan is the one to the far right, if it’s her. I have a photo of her when she was young and it closely match her in this photo. A few other guys are looking it over.
    The photo was taken in the area in the Philippines and time frame.
    She was in the Philippines and after the fighting there, they were preparing for the Japan invasion but the bomb was dropped and the war ended. That’s the time frame for getting the 1st Cav helmet.
    She then along with other traveled to Japan for occupation duty.

?

Excellent pick up Marty!!!
    The helmet looks great and to have a photo of that owner is the cherry on Top!!!

Semper Fi
    Phil

Thank you Phil,
    I loaded the wrong picture, I have one of her. The one posted is possibly her and think it’s her but the picture is being studied to confirm. The helmet is one I could not pass up.

Marty

Amazing

Thank you Jimmy.