Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Post war M1 restored.

Article about: Hey! I had this post war M1 helmet, and i decided to try and restore it like a WW2 M1 Medic helmet. - So here is some pictures of the result, and i just wanted you guys opinion Currahee! /Mi

Default Re: Post war M1 restored.

Quote by battle gear View Post
    I bought a bamboo Chinese wok cleaning brush like this and used it to weather a helmet for an experiment and it worked well to give it a been there used look

I hit the helmet several times to scratch the paint with the bamboo brush, then I sprayed sea water from the ocean all over it and wrapped it in a plastic bag for several days to cause it to get a rusty aged look on the exposed metal, then after I got the desired amount of rusting I sprayed it off with fresh water and used a little soap to neutralize the corrosive effects, then I left it outside for a month in the hot sun and let the dust and dirt bake on it, and it looked original, the rust spots were a nice dark brown and it looked well aged.
    Cool, ill try a combo of this and the stuff nick wrote.
    The helmet would look awesome if i could get a cool rust effect!
    Thank you both for the great tips!

/Mick

?

thats some good tips there

the same guy that did the medic helmet for me also did this post war m1 replica para helmet for me as well the first 3 pics are before pics
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Post war M1 restored.   Post war M1 restored.  

Post war M1 restored.   Post war M1 restored.  

Post war M1 restored.  

Quote by NickD View Post
    thats some good tips there

the same guy that did the medic helmet for me also did this post war m1 replica para helmet for me as well the first 3 pics are before pics
    Looks nice Thanks for shareing!

/Mick

Hey guys,

I have been trying to do a nice job "ageing" my helmet, and this is the result.

Its not as nice ad the pictures NickD posted, but im not a pro at this
    Im thinking about scraping some more paint off on the medic emblems, what do you say?

/Mick
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Post war M1 restored.   Post war M1 restored.  

Post war M1 restored.  

?

looking better already just needs to be dirtied up a bit more leave out side & apply some coffee granules to it every so often

Yup Ill start right away.

?

the only two things that will let it down is just like my helmet in the last pics i posted the rim will rust instead of staying shiny which would have made it more authentic & also the leather liner chinstrap is to wide to be WW2 US but still looking a very nice job better then i can ever do

Quote by NickD View Post
    the only two things that will let it down is just like my helmet in the last pics i posted the rim will rust instead of staying shiny which would have made it more authentic & also the leather liner chinstrap is to wide to be WW2 US but still looking a very nice job better then i can ever do
    Yeah I know the chinstrap is not WW2, i just took the nearest liner w/chinstrap, i was meaning to buy another one, the one on the picture is from a post war M1 helmet used by the danish civil defiance. - It followed with a very nice (not US, or WW2) liner

Thanks, ill post when all done.

/Mick

?

keep it up mate just remember you can never over do it it all depends on how old you want it to look & replicas of those chinstraps can easily be picked up to give it a little more of the authentic look

Quote by NickD View Post
    keep it up mate just remember you can never over do it it all depends on how old you want it to look & replicas of those chinstraps can easily be picked up to give it a little more of the authentic look
    Of course J Murray have some original mint condition M1 WW2 era chinstraps.
    I bought one before, they look nice.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast