Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Postwar M1 Shells- Correct me if I am wrong

Article about: Recently, I have been diving head first into reading/learning about M1 helmets, specifically post war used/produced helmets. During this process, I have found that a lot of crucial/specific

Default Postwar M1 Shells- Correct me if I am wrong

Recently, I have been diving head first into reading/learning about M1 helmets, specifically post war used/produced helmets. During this process, I have found that a lot of crucial/specific information is not conveniently located in one place. I decided to make this thread to both test my knowledge of these critters and possibly help others along the way. I kindly request that any of yall let me know whenever I get details wrong/miss them (but I don't need to tell you guys that ). This post will always be an indefinite work in progress as I learn more information. Most info posted I have gathered from USMilitaria Forums and will post several links as a sort of work cited. Also, M1C helmets or other M1 variations is not explored here (at least not until the basic infantry is figured out).

Shell Production

Mccord
    - Production sometime 1951-1958.
    -May have also gotten another contract on April 30, 1965
    Motor Wheel Corporation (Possible Sub-contractor of Mccord)
    -Production sometime 1951-1953
    Ingersoll
    - Production in 1965-1968
    Parrish Division of Dana Corporation
    - Production in October 1968- August 1969
    RJ Stampings
    - Production in Canada from 1970-1977
    Heat Stamps
    Below I have listed how the heat stamps look in the helmet.
    Mccord
    M followed by 2 to 4 numbers then a second letter

Motor Wheel
    MWA then followed by numbers

Ingersoll
    4 different variations. # sign is a placehold for numbers
    1-####
    1 ####
    I-####
    I ####

Parish
    4 small numbers

RJ Stampings
    4 large numbers

3 digit heat stamps that start with 4, 5, 6, or 7 also belong to RJ Stampings. Usually found on helmets with final type of chinstrap.

Color

Mccord and Motor Wheel produced post war M1's in Olive Drab #319.
    Ingersoll through to RJ produced post war M1's in Munsell 10Y 3/3.

(Can someone post clear pictures of these two colors side by side or at least in similar lighting?)

Chinstraps

Throughout most of the Korean war and well into the 50s, M1's were equipped with chinstraps of the Later WW2 variation. This was because the majority of helmets used in Korea were leftovers from WW2 repainted in a thicker more glossy paint. However, later into the war, M1 clip on chinstraps were used in a very, very small amount. These chinstraps had their metal painted green. Used mostly post Korean to Early Vietnam war.

Following this, the chinstraps were no longer painted green, but chemically blackened. (1962-1969ish)

(Here is where I need some clarification) As far as I know, the first two chinstraps I just listed would be marked with a small little anchor symbol. Later into the Vietnam war (around 1969ish), blackened chinstraps would be used but without the anchor mark. However, there is a third type of chinstrap with this set up, one that bears a letter P in place of the anchor. I've heard two claims:
    -They are either post war made chinstraps
    -They are wartime chinstraps
    This I do not have an answer for.

Finally, around 1972ish, the M1's final chinstrap form began to be seen. Rather than it being a piece of metal clamped onto the M1 chinstrap bales, it instead clipped on. The chinstrap itself is more reminiscent of M1C style chinstraps.

Also, as far as I understand, M1 chinstraps used during Vietnam and before usually should not have any Lot Numbers printed onto the canvas material. This began to pop up around the mid-late 70s.

Final Thoughts
    As stated earlier, I have listed all of the sources and various discussions about the different topics above. Credit goes to all of those that did the tough job of researching every detail. I just felt like preserving this knowledge would be a lot easier if it was all condensed into one thread, especially since Warrelics did not seem to have an organized thread on postwar M1 shells. If anyone has new knowledge/idea or notice any mistakes, please state. Also, for those that actually own Postwar M1 helmets, I kindly ask for photos to be posted.
    Below is my only M1 helmet shell, a 50s produced Mccord with what I believe to be OD #319 along with the blackened chinstrap with anchor stamp. Unfortunately, the long side is ripped.

Bibliography
    1980s Helmet Advice - Please Help - STEEL AND KEVLAR HELMETS - U.S. Militaria Forum

Collecting WWII-Era M1 Helmets: A Beginner's Guide - Military Trader/Vehicles

M1 helmet lot numbers ww2-vietnam - STEEL AND KEVLAR HELMETS - U.S. Militaria Forum

Vietnam Era M1 Helmet Chinstrap Marking / Stamp Question - STEEL AND KEVLAR HELMETS - U.S. Militaria Forum

DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A WW11, KOREAN WAR< VIETNAM HELMETS AND LINERS - STEEL AND KEVLAR HELMETS - U.S. Militaria Forum

https://www.usmilitariaforum.com/for...omment-2832302

https://www.usmilitariaforum.com/for...le-chinstraps/

https://www.usmilitariaforum.com/for...n-war-helmets/

https://www.usmilitariaforum.com/for...manufacturers/

https://www.usmilitariaforum.com/for...lour-question/

https://www.usmilitariaforum.com/for...trap-in-korea/

https://www.usmilitariaforum.com/for...rd-heatstamps/

2 marines in 1955 Nevada during Operation Teapot. Clearly seen still using sewn-on chinstraps.

Hello,

Yes, this is the most aggregated information that has already been published in the US Militaria Forum.

McCord used "M" and "M-" .

As far as I know, RJ Stampings only has large three-digit numbers as heat stamps

Parrish Division of Dana Corporation is also available without a heat stamp. Instead, an ink stamp was attached. But that has often passed.

Regards

Here is a matching McCord M1 helmet from 1951-1958 production (Heat Stamp M - 123A) in OD # 318 and Westinghouse / Capac Liner (1951-1956).
    You can also see the matching chin straps without markings in olive lacquer.

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Postwar M1 Shells- Correct me if I am wrong   Postwar M1 Shells- Correct me if I am wrong  

Postwar M1 Shells- Correct me if I am wrong   Postwar M1 Shells- Correct me if I am wrong  

Postwar M1 Shells- Correct me if I am wrong   Postwar M1 Shells- Correct me if I am wrong  

Ah ok, so the earlier green chinstraps were also unmarked sometimes to?
    Another thing, would you say that my helmet posted is also in the OD #319 as well? Because it is not nearly as vibrant of a green as later ones I have seen online, those being Munsell 10Y 3/3.

Munsell 10Y 3/3 was introduced between 1965 and 1967. Early Ingersoll shells were still painted in OD # 318 which was then switched to Munsell 10Y 3/3.
    However, older shells were also overhauled and painted Munsell 10Y 3/3.

Just wanted to say well done for taking the time to post all this great info.it still amazes me how the vast majority of M1 collectors completely dismiss the 40 plus years post ww2 that this iconic Helmet stayed in service.i've always preferred the postwar stuff and personally i think there's some really rare pieces almost impossible to find.!I've never been a forum member of any US military site but if what you've written has come from those sites then its quite obvious there no wiser to certain questions than i've ever been,always remember only one book was ever written on postwar M1's and that was in the late 90's and that never contained many of the answers you seek.great sub topic thread to discuss.!!!

?

Nice Job OG!

Semper Fi
    Phil

Quote by OsiusGaming View Post
    Ah ok, so the earlier green chinstraps were also unmarked sometimes to?
    Another thing, would you say that my helmet posted is also in the OD #319 as well? Because it is not nearly as vibrant of a green as later ones I have seen online, those being Munsell 10Y 3/3.
    Yes your McCord helmet is painted in OD#319.

I only know the earliest of these chin straps unmarked and with this blunt point. They are partly made of light, rustproof, lightweight material.
    But I also know green lacquered closures with the anchor symbol from the manufacturer North & Judd.

Appreciate the enthusiasm buddy. Nice job
    Z

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast