Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Purchased M1 Fixed Bale Helmet - Any Information Would Be Greatly Appreciated

Article about: Hello, I purchased this Fixed Bale M1 Helmet. Any information you can provide to me such as year of manufacture, company etc would be appreciated. Also, any info on the liner would also help

Default Purchased M1 Fixed Bale Helmet - Any Information Would Be Greatly Appreciated

Hello, I purchased this Fixed Bale M1 Helmet. Any information you can provide to me such as year of manufacture, company etc would be appreciated. Also, any info on the liner would also help.
    Helmet is marked 499B (hard to see in photo) - seam is in the front.
    No other markings I can find.
    Liner has "F" inside of a shield and A 15 (Firestone?).
    Thank you in advance
    Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Purchased M1 Fixed Bale Helmet - Any Information Would Be Greatly Appreciated   Purchased M1 Fixed Bale Helmet - Any Information Would Be Greatly Appreciated  

Purchased M1 Fixed Bale Helmet - Any Information Would Be Greatly Appreciated   Purchased M1 Fixed Bale Helmet - Any Information Would Be Greatly Appreciated  

Purchased M1 Fixed Bale Helmet - Any Information Would Be Greatly Appreciated   Purchased M1 Fixed Bale Helmet - Any Information Would Be Greatly Appreciated  

Purchased M1 Fixed Bale Helmet - Any Information Would Be Greatly Appreciated  

Default Re: Purchased M1 Fixed Bale Helmet - Any Information Would Be Greatly Appreciated

The liner is a mid-production Firestone (unpainted A-washers), the shell a McCord (Schlueter-made shells were stamped with an 'S'); there were only 2 manufacturers. The stamped number is a heatnumber.

The pics aren't great, but I think the shell is repainted in the past? Looks like a nice clean helmet though!

Greetz

David

Default Re: Purchased M1 Fixed Bale Helmet - Any Information Would Be Greatly Appreciated

499b would put it in the production range of April-May 1943. Nice Helmet & Liner.
    Last edited by Mountaineer; 01-15-2011 at 10:10 PM.

?

thats a very nice fixed bail M-1 set up you have there, the heat stamp number in the shell as Mountaineer said puts the manufacture date around May 1943.

all in all a very nice complete set

Thank you for all of the info. How can you tell it has been repainted? Do you think that was a recent repaint or years back? Also, does that hurt the value?
    Any idea what it is worth?

Here are some close ups of the paint. Hope it helps.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Purchased M1 Fixed Bale Helmet - Any Information Would Be Greatly Appreciated   Purchased M1 Fixed Bale Helmet - Any Information Would Be Greatly Appreciated  

?

they all get repainted at some point in there lives as the shell gets damaged & worn through out its use, the paint on yours is perfectly fine for WW2 era

Smile Re: Purchased M1 Fixed Bale Helmet - Any Information Would Be Greatly Appreciated

Thats good to hear cool and thanks again. BTW is the liner correct - was it made during the same time frame?

?

yes the liner is fine its also WW2 era

I am hesistant to put a date on the shell with just the heatnumber; there was a list published in a book by 2 French authors (their names escape me at the moment), but this list needs lots more research. The 'raised bar' on the chinstrap buckle does however indicated early- to midproduction, so 1943 might very well be correct. That would also fit the liner. The nape strap might be dated.

I still think your helmet was repainted, but it still has the original ground cork finish, and as stated earlier repainting was normal maintenance. It is a nice, original standard helmet.

Greetz

David

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast