Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

ROTC WW2 M1 chromed parade helmet

Article about: Hi guys picked up this M1 a few days ago. It's a WW2 McCord with stamp #1096E (December 1944). It's a front seam swivel bale chromed up with a lovely badge from what I believe to be the Rese

Default ROTC WW2 M1 chromed parade helmet

Hi guys picked up this M1 a few days ago. It's a WW2 McCord with stamp #1096E (December 1944). It's a front seam swivel bale chromed up with a lovely badge from what I believe to be the Reserved Officer Training Corps based in Kansas. From what I researched the ROTC is service that is setup in colleges and high schools so basically army cadets??? Correct me if I'm wrong guys. I can't be sure as to when this helmet was chromed up from its military use but this lid could have seen service during WW2 the Korean War and even the Vietnam war. The helmet comes with its original white chin strap which is so often missing on the examples we see being sold. The liner is the P64 model with the newer suspension but looking at the mold in mark its the stylised F (Firestone) with 63 underneath denoting 1963 production. So is this a left over P55 liner with the P64 suspension thus making this a transitional liner or that the 63 mold mark was not updated for the 1964 production on the mold press itself??? The liner is unusually hand painted black with yellow tape then with red tape over the yellow down the middle of the liner, must have meant or stood for something? It also has a yellow painted number which is also used to identify it as a Firestone liner, black numbers were for Marmac liners and White were for Westinghouse liners of this period. The liner has definitely been with the helmet for a long time as the rust marks inside the helmet do match up to the rust stains on the liner.
    Thanks for taking the time to look guys
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture ROTC WW2 M1 chromed parade helmet   ROTC WW2 M1 chromed parade helmet  

ROTC WW2 M1 chromed parade helmet   ROTC WW2 M1 chromed parade helmet  

Last edited by Redstalker; 12-10-2016 at 06:00 PM.

I do like chrome parade Helmets,especially with the white leather strap,i think the 1960's was the prime chrome period,i could be wrong,but as most i've seen carry p64 liners it would make sense being from this decade,nice set that displays awesome.!

Good to see you back here Jake on the M1 part of this forum

Quote by Redstalker View Post
    Good to see you back here Jake on the M1 part of this forum
    Many thanks Ian.............

?

Great helmet always wanted one after watching Animal house .

Quote by RH1941 View Post
    Great helmet always wanted one after watching Animal house .
    I own two and of these parade helmets here is the link to my other one M1 chrome, parade/honour guard helmet