Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Second Lieutenant Alden Eugene Fox - CAC WWII

Article about: I acquired this group a couple years ago, and realized I've had not posted it here. Alden's daughter asked if I would be interested in acquiring his helmets and some other effects from his m

?

Default Second Lieutenant Alden Eugene Fox - CAC WWII

I acquired this group a couple years ago, and realized I've had not posted it here. Alden's daughter asked if I would be interested in acquiring his helmets and some other effects from his military service. Of course I jumped at the chance and made arrangements to come bye and get a look.

What I could never have anticipated was his daughter's enthusiasm and willingness to share her father's stories, recollection, photos, and family history. His daughter's husband, himself a Seabee during the Vietnam War, was just as willing to share some great stories and fond memories of Alden, that helped me appreciate what an brilliant and unique individual he was.

Alden Eugene Fox was born to the Archer Douglass and Mable E. Fox on September 12th, 1919 in Wilton, NH. His father was a veteran of WWI. Alden graduated from Wilton High School in 1937 and received a Bachelor's Degree in Civil Engineering from The University of New Hampshire in 1941 and was also a member of the UNH ROTC. Alden entered the United States Army as a Second Lieutenant in the Coast Artillery Corp during WWII, and served from 1941-1945. He served in numerous CAC Units and had many duty stations.

His duty stations included:
    -Harbor Defenses Boston, Ma
    - Camp Pendleton, VA
    - Ascension Island in the Southern Atlantic Ocean
    -Fort Taylor Key West, Fla
    -Fort Ord California

Among his duties he was a close combat and small arm instructor and extremely well versed in all elements of artillery and coastal fortifications.

In 1944, Alden married the love of his life, Esther M. (Peaslee) Fox, whom he met at UNH. They were married for 67 years. Ester was a Dietitian.
    They eventually adopted five children, and one foster child.

Following his military service, Alden's early career connected him with two pioneers in early aviation, Glenn L. Martin of the Martin Aviation Co., Baltimore, MD and Igor Sikorsky of Sikorsky Aero Engineering Corp., Stratford, CT.

Alden was a brilliant engineer whose innovations spanned from a reinforced fiberglass rotor blade for helicopters; fiberglass corners and translucent caps for trucks; the development of aluminum and fiberglass domes to enclose swimming pools and laminated wooden arches for churches and skating rinks.

Among many other things, Alden was a lifelong dog lover as well as a firearms enthusiast and collector.

Alden passed away in the fall of 2015 at the age of 96 years old. He was interned with his wife Ester (who pre-deceased him by seven years) on what would have been their 74th Wedding Anniversary.

The stories and photos shared by his family were priceless. One particular story that stands out is how Alden built a plane in the basement of their home in Connecticut, when they move back to his home town of Wilton, NH - He removed the wings and towed up the highway for hundreds of miles. Gail recalled some interesting looks from toll taker in the various toll booths along the way.

Another story was how Alden took up on his own accord and volunteered the training African American troops, mainly deployed as a labor force in support of other military units, in small arms and hand to hand tactics. Apparently this did not sit well with a particular Captain from the Deep South, who typically showed disdain for him and his undertaking. One day out of the blue, this Captain pulled up in a jeep with a couple of fishing poles and invited Alden to go fishing to a remote location on the island where he said the fishing was said to be outstanding. While Alden was fishing off a cliff edge, the Captain stood somewhat behind him. Out of his peripheral vision, Alden saw the Captain undue the flap on his pistol holster. He said as a reflex, he reach down and undid his flap as well and just stood there staring at the Captain. After a few uncomfortable moments, the Captain closed his holster flap, and Alden said he did the same. He also said he and the Captain never spoke about it and he was never absolutely clear of the Captains intentions, but he certainly had his suspicions.

He had a full set of PBY Catalina blueprints and schematics among his estate paperwork that archivists were extremely happy of them having been found. It was a particularly special set that they did not think existed any longer.

There were many other equally as interesting stories I very much appreciated them sharing with me.

A few more classic photos:

Some of Alden's gear:

Some of Alden's items in detail.....

Alden's father's WWI Brodie helmet, with both his father's initials in grease pen and Alden's in pencil. I imaging Alden probably added his initials when he was a child.

Alden's tropical Pith Helmet, with dates and duty stations noted in the liner.

Alden's Kelly helmet with liner dates and duty stations - I have pictures of him wearing this helmet as well as his holster. Notice the heavy cork texture. He is wearing this and his holster in one of the pictures sitting on a water cooled AA .50 BMG.

A spare M1 helmet liner, one of two Inland high pressure liners.

The first of two M1 helmets with Second Lieutenant's butter bars, this one on both the front of the helmet and liner. Note the tactical mark on the rear of both. I have a theory that the white rear circles are to identify officers and likely a precursor to the "follow me stripes" used on D-Day. An early heat stamp of 26 A and another Inland HP liner.

The other M1 helmet, with a butter bar, tactical rear circle, and Hawley liner. Note the heat stamp of 74 D and the classic grease pencil naming and statement.

Alden's Sam Brown Belt, Cap, Over Seas Garrison Caps (tropical and standard), Holster, goggles, patches, two makers of buttons, ect. Alden most definitely liked personalizing and markings his items.

That's about it for now. Apologies if it's a little picture heavy, there are many more photos that remain unposted.

Thanks for looking, and as always, any and all comments and opinions are welcome and greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by relicz; 03-23-2022 at 02:15 AM.

TWS
    ?

Wow! Fantastic grouping and history to go along with it. This large grouping is a collection in itself.

I'm sure the daughter can rest easy knowing her father's items are in good hands of someone who appreciates the history they represent.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

?

Quote by TWS View Post
    Wow! Fantastic grouping and history to go along with it. This large grouping is a collection in itself.

I'm sure the daughter can rest easy knowing her father's items are in good hands of someone who appreciates the history they represent.
    Thanks for commenting Todd, very much appreciated. It was really good meeting his daughter and her husband, really nice people. I thoroughly enjoyed it. This set of helmets has every variation fielded by the US from WWI till early WWII. All of them issued to Alden Fox, except his fathers M1917 that Alden wore and initialed in his youth.

I can't say I've ever seen another complete set, all named to one soldier. The best part is Alden liked to make notations and personalize the liner interiors. Lots of great stories, some of his pistol collection was auctioned to send a grandchild to college. I'm told it contained contained a matching pair of SAA's. I never saw the collection, as it was already sold, but was told about it. His son still has his 1911.

?

I'll second the WOW!!
    That is an amazing grouping. All his gear and helmets look fantastic and well kept.

That is an excellent snag!!

Semper Fi
    Phil

What a set!!! BIG THANKS for taking the time to create this fantastic thread!!!

John I’m so glad you posted the grouping here, I feel that everyone needs to see this fine grouping, it’s one of my all time favorites and I never get tried on seeing it.
    I do have some bad news the one M1 helmet with the heat stamp number 26 looks to be 266A or 268A.

You made my night by seeing the grouping.

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

?

Thanks Marty, I appreciate your comments, you are one of the few that appreciated the group when I posted it on GHW a couple of years ago. I think M1 helmets on the whole are little under appreciated over there (although there are a few guys that really do appreciate them). Been meaning to post it here for quite a while, but the format is somewhat time consuming to post a long narrative with lots of pictures. I don't want to tell you how long that took me.

As for the 26 A lot number, I looked at that from every conceivable angle and couldn't make out another number, but was always curious about the spacing. So, if true a good catch on your part, it is possibly very faint, I'll have to dig it out and look again. It always puzzled me, that the Hawley set heat stamp wasn't earlier than the Inland set heat stamp, now it may make more sense. It would be about a year later than I originally though, and may make perfect sense, so thanks for that, not bad news at all, it is what it is and I like to be accurate in describing things.
    Last edited by relicz; 12-24-2020 at 03:29 PM.

?

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    I'll second the WOW!!
    That is an amazing grouping. All his gear and helmets look fantastic and well kept.

That is an excellent snag!!

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Thanks Phil, I very much appreciate your comments.

- - ------- - -

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    What a set!!! BIG THANKS for taking the time to create this fantastic thread!!!
    Thanks Rene', I very much appreciate your comments.

MAP
    ?

Not much more to add John than what was said above. Groupings like this are what we live for. Congrats

Funny, I think our church has the laminated wood arches he designed. Been going there for 55 years and the church was build in the early/mid 50's. I always stared at them as a kid instead of listening to the sermons! LoL.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Quote by MAP View Post
    Not much more to add John than what was said above. Groupings like this are what we live for. Congrats

Funny, I think our church has the laminated wood arches he designed. Been going there for 55 years and the church was build in the early/mid 50's. I always stared at them as a kid instead of listening to the sermons! LoL.
    Thanks Michael, I appreciate your comments. I also thought of where I’ve seen his inventions when I learned of them. He was a pretty interesting guy.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast