MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Strange M1 Swivel bale - Help!?

Article about: Greetings esteemed Gentlemen (and Ladies) of WRF. First of all this is my first post in this section of the forum, so I hope the thread is posted in the right area. If not then I apologise f

Default Strange M1 Swivel bale - Help!?

Greetings esteemed Gentlemen (and Ladies) of WRF.

First of all this is my first post in this section of the forum, so I hope the thread is posted in the right area. If not then I apologise for any inconvenience it may have caused.

I am hoping some of You out there can assist me in finding out why this M1 helmet, that I have acquired recently, has such strange swivel bales - unlike any I have seen before.

- Dan

What do you exactly mean with swivel bales?

Can you find a heat stamp?

GoodOldGermany - swivel bale = chinstrap posts?

ObKrieger - I have tried looking, and I will give it another shot - however there is nothing visible, because of the thick paint. I would have to remove some to be 100% certain. But if I do not find any, then the missing paint would pain me.

Can you post a pic of the outside finish and chinstrap hardware?

I do not believe just from the few pictures that it is even a U.S helmet.
    Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

?

From what I can see from the side currently, it's a post-war Dutch M53 helmet, most likely from the 50's. If it has stamps that state 'Controle LCW' inside the lid, then its confirmed. If it has a back seam, that just adds up.

Its an Otan M51 French M1 variant,they used at least four types of swivel bales,all Dutch M53 types carried same Bale design as US types.Greg or James will be able to offer better advice and info.

Gimmie - Unfortunately, it has no stamps of any kind. I have looked over and over again, under natural lighting and under LED lighting. There is nothing apparent unless the paint is covering it. It is a rear-seam and it has been painted a similar colour to other post-war Danish helmets; a colour reminiscent of late Korean-war era / early Vietnam-ear era green. But then again, it may have been repainted several times. I have not yet dared to remove any paint.

ruddersrangers44 - Interesting fact you pointed out. However, from my limited knowledge on the M51 French M1 variant, does it not differ in shape from the US M1 helmet? This helmet that I have is identical to a US model, except when you flip it over and see the swivel bales, you think - "This isn't right...". I don't know if it helps, but it seems to have the classic ripple effect seen on WWII M1 helmets along the base. I look forward to hearing what Greg and James have to say.

- Dan

Quote by GoodOldGermany View Post
    What do you exactly mean with swivel bales?

The bale is the attachment point for the chinstrap.

Early M1 helmets had "fixed bales" which were a simple bent rod welded to the shell forming a rectangle (the fixed bales on early para helmets were curved and referred to as "D" shaped). Theses were rigid and did not move. Later M1 helmets had "swivel bales" these were made from two pieces, the bale itself and a fixed base attached to the shell thus creating a hinge arrangement which allowed the bale to move and therefore be less likely to break when the helmet was placed upright on a hard surface (US troops had a habit of sitting on their helmets), so, the helmet in this thread has "swivel bales" just not US type.

I hope this answers your question.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast