Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Strange WWII Firestone M1 Helmet Liner

Article about: Hello everyone! I need help identifying this pretty strange m1 helmet liner I purchased from eBay. It is definitely a ww2 Firestone production, with the grommet in the front as well as the F

Default Strange WWII Firestone M1 Helmet Liner

Hello everyone! I need help identifying this pretty strange m1 helmet liner I purchased from eBay. It is definitely a ww2 Firestone production, with the grommet in the front as well as the Firestone stamp on the crown. However, this liner has been modified for an unknown reason to me. There are split pins, similar to German helmets. There are various rivet holes throughout the liner, and the liner appears to have been cut down around the back. I don't believe this is a post war modification because the split pins are heavily corroded. My best guess is maybe it was retrofitted to be a child's toy helmet after the war. However that is just speculation. Let me know your theories as I've never seen a liner like this before. I have photos of it side by side with a 51 dated CAPAC liner as well as it inside a WW2 rear seam so you can see the way it sits in the helmet

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Strange WWII Firestone M1 Helmet Liner  

I believe your correct in thinking it was modified to be used as a toy. I know this was the fate of many low-pressure liners from Hood Rubber and Saint Claire. They were also cutdown in the back

MAP
    ?

Quote by Eagle mtn View Post
    I believe your correct in thinking it was modified to be used as a toy. I know this was the fate of many low-pressure liners from Hood Rubber and Saint Claire. They were also cutdown in the back
    I would agree. Also used as civilian work helmets too. To add, they were required to cut down these helmets so they could not be used for military purposes. I guess a way to make a buck on rejected helmets. Page 107 of Mark Reynosa's M1 helmet book has a short section on these
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Odd that they thought that cutting a piece off the back would make them unusable for military purposes. They still fit right inside an M1 shell

MAP
    ?

I think all the webbing and hardware was removed as well.

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

As Eagle mtn suggests, why not cut them in half.. or just burn them?
    I go with repurposed.. but for what and whom?

Quote by MAP View Post
    I think all the webbing and hardware was removed as well.
    That's true.
    I once put the webbing back into one of these helmets a long time ago. Talk about a pain in the butt!

MAP
    ?

I do remember reading somewhere a bit more about why this was done. Really just an extension of what you and I wrote above.

I even think I've seen a period advertisement or photo too