Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

"Unmessed With" American M1 Combat Hemet Set

Article about: Hi Everyone Here’s a nice unmessed with WW2 M1. Someone was selling a few pieces from his collection. He had picked this up in the Midwest at a store called Militaria and Varia in Illinois

Default "Unmessed With" American M1 Combat Hemet Set

Hi Everyone

Here’s a nice unmessed with WW2 M1. Someone was selling a few pieces from his collection. He had picked this up in the Midwest at a store called Militaria and Varia in Illinois in the 90s. I’ve read here that owner (who passed last year R.I.P.) was a well respected member of our collecting community. I usually post my German Helmet Examples here on WRF and GHV and I wanted to post this one here as well. I have a few M1s. Front seam with No Liner. Korean War Set. Vietnam set with some Frankenstein liner parts but this is the only WWII one I have in my collection now.

This is a Fixed bale McCord. The stamp is extremely light and I cant see it. This has “Khaki” OD3 chinstraps. They dangle on the sides... too short by a hair to strap around the back and Im not going to pull them and breaks them. This one has a flat brass buckle. The thin dark OD period repaint makes me think of other examples I’ve seen from the ETO. The matching stencils on back of helmet and MSA (Miner Safety Appliance) liner say Navy/ Marines to me though. There are some other designations written on pencil as well. “A99”? And another painted stencil inside the pot “Reusch”. Leather chinstrap on Liner and Paint also seem to be period. Leather is frail so not messing with it. Also there is a big ding on top. The sum of all its parts (dimple on the screw that holds the Liner chinstrap to the shell, the painted A Washers and other things) put this helmet at Mid 1943 for me. Any other time frame observations welcome.

I have not delved into researching “Fricke” (Stenciled on back of Helmet and Liner) yet but I will indeed! Rough thumbnail says 150 some “Fricke” WW2 veterans pop up. Anyone know what the numbers would entail “342” or no idea? Could be anything I'm assuming. When researching this I made a file of many stenciled helmets....but only a couple similar (black ink, Name plus 3 Digit Number). Let me know and thanks for looking! This is a really nice matching World War II set and example that I’m proud to be the keeper of this helmet for years to come. There are alot of "put together" US Helmets (I own some) and Im glad I got this one now. Growing up on the east coast in the US in late 80s/early 90s. These seemed to be all over the place. Peoples garages...surplus stores etc. They are still around if you look for bargains. Ive seen what some dealers are selling M1s for in Europe and my jaw dropped. But collecting these pieces of history its not really about the cash to me .....but its nice when you find a sleeper of sorts. Have a great day
    - Zach

Very nice original complete set as yes most certainly from 1943.also great to see a lesser seen liner maker.concrats on obtaining this......

Thank you brother. I see your knowledgeable contributions on here. I tried to post on USMForum where they are also knowledgeable and nice people. But that system is so convoluted for photos over there. I stopped bothering. Grateful for WRF! And yea. Reading about the history of MSA and production of Un-combat related Mine Safety Equipment was great. Pittsburgh ? I believe.

Very nice helmet and liner. Thanks for posting.
    John

Thanks for looking John. And have a nice weekend.

There is only one A Fricke listed on the NARA enlistment database, and his serial number is not any of the digits on this helmet. A laundry number consists of the last 4 digits of the soldiers service number and the first initial. I wonder if these stencils are post WW2 additions, maybe reissued for Korea?

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    There is only one A Fricke listed on the NARA enlistment database, and his serial number is not any of the digits on this helmet. A laundry number consists of the last 4 digits of the soldiers service number and the first initial. I wonder if these stencils are post WW2 additions, maybe reissued for Korea?
    I wonder .... Nothing else indicates KW as far as any additions etc or tweaks ...color etc to me at least. I was looking at "Fricke" not "A Fricke" and I had found 2 hits that had "342" in the laundry # sequence. But I also wasnt thinking the stencils were related to his Laundry number either. I dont know what it is. Some battlestation ID or something. And on Back instead of front could be another clue. Thanks for the research help BlackCat!

I was just assuming the numbers and Fricke might be a direct link, but it may be for some other reason. A puzzle for sure.

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    I was just assuming the numbers and Fricke might be a direct link, but it may be for some other reason. A puzzle for sure.
    That was my first go to as well ...Interesting though that the "A" penciled on could have been a 1st initial though! Good thought. Think it reads "A99" ....hmm

At least the liner and shell belong together! Maybe there are some other hidden pencil marks yet to find..

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast