Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unpainted ww2 liner?

Article about: Hi, Today I have acquired this M1 liner, I have heard that some of them were unpainted and had 2 stamps. This one has Capac and Westinghouse, which I have saw already. However it is in mint

Default Unpainted ww2 liner?

Hi,

Today I have acquired this M1 liner, I have heard that some of them were unpainted and had 2 stamps. This one has Capac and Westinghouse, which I have saw already. However it is in mint condition, I think never issued. So I would like to resolved some things that are puzzling me.

1. Why they had that particular stamp combination?

2. Are unpainted liners Production error or what?

Two other things that are confusing me...

3. Did OD 7 webbing appeared in the ww2 liners? (this one has it, nape is OD3)

4. Unusual dark chinstrap? Seems black...

Many thanks for your help!

Here are the photos!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unpainted ww2 liner?   Unpainted ww2 liner?  

Unpainted ww2 liner?  

Hi Friend
    I would have to get ye olde books out but pretty sure this liner is post war late 40s / early 50s. The reason for the double stamp is that I think Capac bought/used the Molds (right word) or liner presses from Westinghouse to continue on making liners after the war. WW2 liners did not have OD7 webbing as well. Also I do not know what the black liner strap is .... not a WW2 GI issue. Also don’t believe I have seen a black US one post war either but my knowledge is mainly WW2 lids. The unpainted aspect of the Liner could mean unissued or factory surplus. When I am buying a WW2 liner if it is without the original OD factory paint..... find it less desirable personally.
    Z

is it dated 51/52 there? looks like it (hard to see!) here's one of mine.
    Last edited by reneblacky; 02-09-2021 at 12:05 AM. Reason: added pics

It’s Def not a WW2 liner. Also for additional info I believe “Sleepwalker” posted a similar double stamp liner a few posts down from this one I just saw ... if you wanted to take a look.
    Z

- - ------- - -

Message was to Kamuflaza above

Thank you all for your answers!

@reneblacky Yes that is the same stamp as mine.

Hello,

this is the second or late version of the Westinghous CAPAC liner.
    You can recognize it by the cast number "53", which probably stands for 1953, and the black A-washer.
    The first variant does not have a "53" and has A washers in OD.

Unfortunately, all of the color is missing here. I can't imagine it was delivered unpainted.
    The chinstrap and neck band don't fit either.

Here is a complete matching liner from this manufacturer of this variant.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unpainted ww2 liner?   Unpainted ww2 liner?  

Unpainted ww2 liner?   Unpainted ww2 liner?  

Unpainted ww2 liner?  

part 2

Unpainted ww2 liner?  

?

I was following this thread, not commenting because I’m still testing my own knowledge.

With respect to the finish, the one posted doesn’t look to have been stripped, especially if you look around the rivets.

This photo, taken in Israel 1967, shows a liner with no paint, not smoking gun but there is a chance these were issued unpainted.

Unpainted ww2 liner?

Steve.

Hello,

that's a nice photo, but what does it say?
    Only that there is a liner with no color.

There is no indication of whether it once had a color, what color or whether it was delivered without color.

Personally, I can't imagine a liner with no paint being shipped to the army from the factory.

The paint wears off relatively quickly. Therefore many of them have been painted over. But often they were carried on just like that.

We also don't know whether a previous owner simply removed the paint completely because he liked it better that way?

Yes. It’s an Anomaly. I have seen this unpainted look for WW2 liners as well. Interesting indeed. I def prefer the factory painted. Nice pics sleepwalker!

Kamuflaza - I forget I had one of these double stamped Capac / Westinghouse liners too. For you reference. Paint / webbing / etc

KW 2nd Lietuenant Set - STEEL AND KEVLAR HELMETS - U.S. Militaria Forum

- - ------- - -

Yes. It’s an Anomaly. I have seen this unpainted look for WW2 liners as well. Interesting indeed. I def prefer the factory painted. Nice pics sleepwalker!

Kamuflaza - I forget I had one of these double stamped Capac / Westinghouse liners too. For you reference. Paint / webbing / etc

KW 2nd Lietuenant Set - STEEL AND KEVLAR HELMETS - U.S. Militaria Forum

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast