Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

US M-1 Helmet Rear Seam, Liner with Decal

Article about: I bought this US M-1 Helmet today. I know it's a little salty, but it was a good price and you can never have enough M-1s, right? I was hoping some of my M-1 guru friends could help me with

Default US M-1 Helmet Rear Seam, Liner with Decal

I bought this US M-1 Helmet today. I know it's a little salty, but it was a good price and you can never have enough M-1s, right? I was hoping some of my M-1 guru friends could help me with this one for maker and date/time period on the helmet and the liner? Also, opinions on if the decal would have been period or added later? I appreciate any help, opinions, or suggestions. I've always been thankful for your help in the past.

Helmet is rear seam, swivel bale. Heat stamp says "155A". It might have an M before that, like "M 155A".

Liner's maker stamp is the Firestone mark and "29" under it (couldn't get a good photo of it). Liner has shiny black paint on outside and a yellow coiled snake decal on the left and the right side of the liner. Also in the 8th photo, there is a small drilled-looking hole on the side of the liner. Anyone know what that was for? I don't recognize that from other liners. It's on both sides of the liner in the same place.

Thank you for taking the time to look.

-Robyn

Hi there,

Your shell was manufactured by McCord between 1953 and 1958.
    It was worn quite heavily and painted over at least once.

The Liner comes from WWII production. But it was worn much longer. The neckband and sweatband were not added until the 1950s. The liner has also been repainted and has this really great Snake motiv.

All in all a great helmet that fits into the time of the Vietnam War.

Also sleepwalker I think the McCord KW Era run began in 1951 if I’m not mistaken.

Hi there,

yes there are sources that speak from 1951 to 1958. Others from 1953 to 1958.

In addition, a small batch of McCord is said to have been delivered in 1965 with this type of stamping.

Regards

Sleepwalker, thank you so much! I really appreciate you taking the time to breakdown my helmet for me, and giving me the specifics. I'm trying to get better on identifying M-1s based on the reference material provided on the forum, but I was second-guessing myself on some of it. Thank you PaddyD for the other dates.

Do y'all think the snake decals are Vietnam Era? Or something put on much later?

Also, what do y'all think the two little drilled holes were put there for in the liner (one on each side near the lip of the liner)?

-Robyn

Last edited by reneblacky; 01-23-2021 at 05:16 AM. Reason: not required

Hi there

cor example in Vietnam, snakes were used as symbols by some elite or commando units such as the Special Forces RECON Team Abu (KHE SANH)

I have a liner with twos in the same place as yours. I thought that perhaps a previous owner had snapped there leather liner chin strap. and had fitted a temporary one by drilling these holes. who knows for sure.
    I like that snake.
    Rod

Sleepwalker - Thank you again for your knowledge. Very interesting information. I didn't know that about snakes/Vietnam.

Rod - That's neat that I'm not the only one with holes drilled in the same place. Yeah, that was my guess...that it might have been used for an alternative chin strap or something. I just wanted to double-check if this was "a thing" that was done and I didn't know about it.

I think the snake is pretty neat, myself!

Once again, thanks everyone! I love this forum and the sharing of knowledge from everyone. It's always the highlight of my day when I'm able to get on and learn something!

-Robyn