Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

US M1 helmet

Article about: Hi everyone, I recently found this M1, which I thought was interesting, but I'm not a great expert on here helmets and I would like your help to identify it correctly. The shell has front se

Default US M1 helmet

Hi everyone,
    I recently found this M1, which I thought was interesting, but I'm not a great expert on here helmets and I would like your help to identify it correctly.
    The shell has front seam and movable hooks but could not find the marks, most likely covered by paint.
    Reading your previous post I think the liner is a "Seaman Paper Company" (see photo 13) and was repeatedly repainted.
    The chinstrap seems consistent with the rest while as s regards the net, that i found on it but I'm not sure whether the original one; however above the shell is clearly visible the net ghost.
    I await your opinions.

thank you
    Roberto

US M1 helmetUS M1 helmetUS M1 helmetUS M1 helmetUS M1 helmetUS M1 helmetUS M1 helmetUS M1 helmetUS M1 helmetUS M1 helmetUS M1 helmetUS M1 helmetUS M1 helmetUS M1 helmetUS M1 helmetUS M1 helmetUS M1 helmetUS M1 helmetUS M1 helmet
    US M1 helmet

I'm not an expert either but for what it's worth looks like a nice WW2 helmet to me.

looks like a McCord made helmet. If that's small dimples I see on the rim in the middle of the bales this leads me to believe it has been a early fixed bale helmet. late in ww2 it has been reconditioned by adding (moveable)swivel bales and new chin straps and must have had a new coat of paint at this time.
    Liner as you say is a late war seamans made liner with what looks like all its original components except its leather chin strap. late ww2 liners had blackened brass "A" washers holding the webbing in place.
    the net I have no idea about.
    A nice helmet to own well done.
    perhaps someone else may come along and give you more detail.
    Rod
    Rod

Thanks Rod,
    for the excellent and precise explanation.

The steel helmet without the heat stamp number is hard to place an exact year a and month of production but looking at the colour of the straps and the fact that the buckle and the J hook are steel plus the fact it is a front seamed swivel bale McCord I can date it roughly from very late 1943 to mid 1944. If it is a seamans liner then with the blackened washers holding the suspension would date from mid 1944 to the wars end. Hope this helps

Thanks Redstalker,
    You've been a great help, I am learning a lot from everyone.
    I collect military equipment for many year, but I realize that there is always something to learn and I am struck by careful precision of the information that you all are able to provide.