Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

US M1 helmet

Article about: I picked this helmet up at a local shop, I know nothing about the American helmets but so far from what I researched I believe it to be a Vietnam era M1? It’s named on the liner but I can

Default US M1 helmet

I picked this helmet up at a local shop, I know nothing about the American helmets but so far from what I researched I believe it to be a Vietnam era M1? It’s named on the liner but I can’t make it out and inside the shell it is named Miller 957, also what is the little white painted square mean on the side? Any info on it is appreciated! I thought for 60 bucks I couldn’t go wrong with picking it up.

US M1 helmetUS M1 helmetUS M1 helmetUS M1 helmetUS M1 helmetUS M1 helmet

Looks to me like a WW2 front seam M1 that has been worked on. The chinstraps are not US govt issue. It looks like it has fixed bales but one side has been resoldered on. With that being said from what I can see the bales don’t look like they are mounted right and look to thick to me. Can you post a picture of just the inside of the shell and a close up of the bales?

Helmets aren’t my strong suit so this is just what I see. There are lots of folks around here that are absolute experts so they will be able to help more.

Here’s the inside and bales, one has been welded back on and the other looks untouched.

US M1 helmetUS M1 helmetUS M1 helmet

For $60 that’s a bargain! Well done.

A

I suppose I should of picked up the other 2 beside it aswell…

Original fixed bale shell with some original texture left, it was re-painted at least once (looks like the Korea-era brownish green), and the Vietnam-era liner and late 1970's chinstraps indicate it had a long career.

Thanks for the info! much appreciated.

Nice mixed bag from the 40's McCord shell obviously repainted as stated the chinstrap is the M75 first designed in 1969 but wasn't added to new shells until 1975.it was the last type fitted before the Kevlar replaced the steel shell,and the liner is a duck cotton resin p64 made by westinghouse complete with nape (usually missing) and original O/D factory paint,nice buy for $60 all in so well done.

Thanks Jake! sounds like this helmet seen it all

You could add either a Mitchell-pattern cover and change the chinstraps to make it Vietnam-era, Mitchell + these chinstraps for mid to late 70's, or a Woodland-pattern cover for early 80's...