Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

US Mitchell / Leaf Pattern Camouflage helmet cover & band

Article about: Hi, my first Vietnam era militaria. I focus on German WW2 but couldn't resist these. I hope they look OK? I have a WW2 (1944) M1 and realise that the post-war helmets had a marginally lower

?

Default US Mitchell / Leaf Pattern Camouflage helmet cover & band

Hi, my first Vietnam era militaria. I focus on German WW2 but couldn't resist these. I hope they look OK?

I have a WW2 (1944) M1 helmet and realise that the post-war helmets had a marginally lower dome, but think I read somewhere that WW2 M1's saw service (possibly refurbished) in the earlier Vietnam period, so thought I would display it on there.

Still waiting for the camouflage band (one of the group shown) as it's coming from the US.

According to information I found on the US Militaria Forum, the contract number on the cover is for the 'Fiscal Year 1969' which mean't it could have been issued from late 1968 onwards.

Regards, Paul

(I saw the Vietnam sub-section, but see that helmet related subjects seem to also go in the M1 section.)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US Mitchell / Leaf Pattern Camouflage helmet cover & band   US Mitchell / Leaf Pattern Camouflage helmet cover & band  

US Mitchell / Leaf Pattern Camouflage helmet cover & band   US Mitchell / Leaf Pattern Camouflage helmet cover & band  

US Mitchell / Leaf Pattern Camouflage helmet cover & band   US Mitchell / Leaf Pattern Camouflage helmet cover & band  

Hello,

the cover is fine for a vietnam era helmet. This is the early style the 6 tongues of the same length. From 1968/69 there were then coatings that laterally had a longer incision to better pull them over the bails can. Most were cut in the earlier slots.

?

Quote by Sleepwalker View Post
    Hello,

the cover is fine for a vietnam era helmet. This is the early style the 6 tongues of the same length. From 1968/69 there were then coatings that laterally had a longer incision to better pull them over the bails can. Most were cut in the earlier slots.

Thanks Sleepwalker, that makes sense. I thought that may be why they did it!

I've added a picture (but I don't own this one) which shows this on a later '2nd pattern' (1974 dated) cover with the higher 'cut out' middle section which will of course enable the cover to be pulled on tighter over the shell.

It's just possible that this is less of an issue with the WW2 shells (that were allegedly still in use in small numbers in Vietnam) as they had a slightly higher dome?

Best regards, Paul
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US Mitchell / Leaf Pattern Camouflage helmet cover & band  

WW2 shells were used in large numbers in Vietnam.

?

Quote by earlymb View Post
    WW2 shells were used in large numbers in Vietnam.
    Thanks earlymb, that's good to know.

I can keep it on my WW2 shell with a clear conscience!

Very nice Paul, these mitchell covers are becoming tough to find in an unmolested condition, well done. Leon.

And I seem to remember if you want the helmet with cover to look like it was used by the Marines, leave off the helmet band. Or is that a legend?

Hello. It always helps to inspect original pictures or film material. Helmets were worn everywhere with and without band. You can also see all kinds of other things like gaskets, wire, packing straps of tarpaulins, etc. The USMC also uses rubber bands cut from truck inner tubes.

?

Quote by Sleepwalker View Post
    Hello. It always helps to inspect original pictures or film material. Helmets were worn everywhere with and without band. You can also see all kinds of other things like gaskets, wire, packing straps of tarpaulins, etc. The USMC also uses rubber bands cut from truck inner tubes.
    Had a look around on the web recently, some without bands as Sleepwalker mentions (the one in colour without a band is USMC 1965 according to the caption), also note the one with the inner tube (about half way down on the left) as Sleepwalker points out.

Of course plenty with nothing tucked in the band, these were just more interesting!

Regards, Paul
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US Mitchell / Leaf Pattern Camouflage helmet cover & band   US Mitchell / Leaf Pattern Camouflage helmet cover & band  

Attached Images Attached Images US Mitchell / Leaf Pattern Camouflage helmet cover & band  US Mitchell / Leaf Pattern Camouflage helmet cover & band 

The man with the rubber helmet band also wears an M1955 vest, so it's very likely he is a marine too.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast