Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Vietnam Era M1 Helmet Shell

Article about: I was given this M1 shell a while back and didn't have the time to research it then, other than the fact that it was post-WWII. I was going through one of my storage boxes and came across it

Default Vietnam Era M1 Helmet Shell

I was given this M1 shell a while back and didn't have the time to research it then, other than the fact that it was post-WWII. I was going through one of my storage boxes and came across it again, so I thought I'd finally give it its rightful time.

Please let me know what of my research is right or wrong. I tried by looking at the guides here on WRF and also various other sources online.

Vietnam War Era M-1 Helmet Shell Only with a back seam and swivel bale, Heat Treat Marked "1 8514", T1 Chin Strap stamped With Anchor which means it was made by North and Judd Mfg. Co. anywhere from 1965 to 1972. There's an anchor symbol on the "ball and hook" ball-side of the buckle, and then a smaller anchor on one of the end caps that secures to the swivel bale. There also was something written at one time large across the area where the heat treat number is but I can't make it out except the first letter "C".

Is that right? Do y'all have anything more to put in, or to correct me on?

I'm thinking about completing this helmet, finishing it out with a Vietnam era liner and helmet cover. Thoughts?

Thank you in advance for any feedback.

-Robyn

That all sounds right to me. I "restored" a WW2 M1 that was refurbed for Korea/Vietnam a year ago it was a lot of fun and the helmet looks great. The part that will take you the most time to find is an original camo band as most of the stuff that's on the market now is from the 80s with the "cats eyes" which aren't correct for the period. When it comes to camo covers the late war "long flap" mitchell cover is probably going to be easier find and cheaper than the early/mid war short flap. Liners are also pretty easy to come by as well for the Vietnam period since you can use late 50s - early 70s era liners. With the chinstrap already on the helmet you could make a helmet that's correct for any year of the war it just depends on the parts your able to get.

Politefaun - Great! Thank you so much! My dad served in Vietnam in 1970-71, so I thought about "restoring" it to that year/time frame. It would fit already with the chin strap dates. I was already trying to find a liner online, but I wasn't sure exactly which ones would fit, time-wise. It's hard finding a lot of information on Vietnam liners compared to the abundance of info on WWII liners.

So, please correct me if I'm wrong. Just for a run-down, for a 1970/71 helmet, I would need:

-any liner from late '50s to 1970
    -original camo band (without "cat eyes")
    -"short flap" mitchell cover from early/mid war

Is that right?

Quote by LoyalHistorian View Post
    Politefaun - Great! Thank you so much! My dad served in Vietnam in 1970-71, so I thought about "restoring" it to that year/time frame. It would fit already with the chin strap dates. I was already trying to find a liner online, but I wasn't sure exactly which ones would fit, time-wise. It's hard finding a lot of information on Vietnam liners compared to the abundance of info on WWII liners.

So, please correct me if I'm wrong. Just for a run-down, for a 1970/71 helmet, I would need:

-any liner from late '50s to 1970
    -original camo band (without "cat eyes")
    -"short flap" mitchell cover from early/mid war

Is that right?
    If you want to do a 70s helmet I'd get

- Liner from the late 60s as the late 50s liners were used only in the very early 60s with a simplified redesigned liner coming into prominence around 64 if I remember correctly. As long as you get a liner that takes the 2nd style neck strap your good.
    - correct
    - you could do either but long flap would be common at this point and issued, camo covers were kind of "disposable" in that after a year or so they'd be worn out so while short flaps were definitely used at this time people coming over would have long flaps.

One thing I left out was the inside sweatband, I don't know a lot about this part as my liner came with a correct era band but I wouldn't worry too much about it since its not really visible unless your looking inside the helmet.

Politefaun - Thank you so much for clarifying. I guess the first thing I'll be looking for is a correct liner, then go from there. I'll need to track down some more picture sources of Vietnam era liners to help me out.

Tank Destroyer - Yes! I did see that one the other day. I really thought that was a good buy. In fact, that post is actually what made me wonder what age this M1 shell was. So, drug-out the box with some of my helmets last night to discover I actually own a Vietnam era shell. I figured this would make a good project for me to do over time, slowly putting the pieces together.

The 1 on the helmet is probably an “I” for Ingersoll.
    I understand about restoring the helmet to Vietnam Era that’s half fun. If you change your mind about the helmet in the classifieds let me know because I’m probably going to put in on EBay for my friend.

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Thank you, Marty. I appreciate it! Will do.

Edit: Looked up Ingersoll...yep, that's definitely what it is. So, it was made sometime between 1965 to 1968. Great!

Hello. An original shell from the Vietnam period. Ingersoll 1965-68. The chin strap for paratroopers is suitable.

To complete this M1C you need an M1C liner. As a helmet cover, you can use a normal Mitchell cover or a piece of parachute.

Quote by Sleepwalker View Post
    Hello. An original shell from the Vietnam period. Ingersoll 1965-68. The chin strap for paratroopers is suitable.

To complete this M1C you need an M1C liner. As a helmet cover, you can use a normal Mitchell cover or a piece of parachute.
    Sleepwalker, so the chin strap is for paratroopers? Is that why there is a snap on one side?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast