Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

WW2 FIXED LOOP MCCORD w CARGO NET

Article about: This one came in this AM. A really nice gun dealer was almost giving this away and though I need another M1 like a hole in the head...I couldn't pass. When it came was pleasantly surprised a

Hi there,

yes of course. The old original texture is underneath.

The top layer of paint is semi gloss and the color is OD Nr. 319.

At such places you can see that old flaked paint has been painted over. The new color is in the missing part.

The OD color from the factory paint can be seen coming through in some places.

Semi gloss OD Nr. 319 was used towards the end of the 2nd World War until the 1950's.

The helmet could have been painted over towards the end of WW2 or until the 1950s.

IMO this typical color tone was used in the 1950's. glossy, brownish OD typical for the Korea-era.

Yes Sleepwalker .... Impossible to tell when. This color below (for me... LIGHT green) is always indicative of KW for me. Not the dark paint on this example. The gloss I attribute to a diff paint used during the period for a "freshen up" perhaps or just storage and handling ETC. Happy to agree to disagree.

This topic going through threads past always leads to a dead end so I just go with my experience with M1 helmets. Weighing all the components together and etc. I appreciate your comments my dude!

Oh also attached is a 1 page from helmets of ETO. The glossy green DARK WW2 repaint. . There are about 30 other WW2 examples with this finish in there if you have the book. Not gospel just examples I go by. Also 2 KW explanations / examples attached .. Ill delete ... they were just for your ref !

Z

I did not fundamentally object.

As I wrote, this color was used towards the end of the 2WW until the 1950's.

At some point during this period this helmet was painted over.

I hear you brother... its a gray area for sure .... Some lids were refurb after the war in this dark color that made it to KW .... then again during the war some were reissued in the darker color as well w whatever paint was around (Vehicle paint what have you) .... And we have all seen that video of the guy spraying over the insignia'd helmets w his dark spray gun while the war was active for Reissued lids. I have had this discussion before .... for me its going to stay on the WW2 shelf no doubt. I Appreciate your comments Sleepwalker
    Z

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2