Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 M1 with liner

Article about: So.. While we were cleaning out at my grandads house, we came across this M1 steel helmet from (presumably) WW2. While growing up, my grandad lived in Netherland, so its not too far fetched

Default WW2 M1 with liner

So..
    While we were cleaning out at my grandads house, we came across this M1 steel helmet from (presumably) WW2.
    While growing up, my grandad lived in Netherland, so its not too far fetched he would get hold of one some way or another, so i got to take it home, and have been looking up and down it to figure out as much as possible about it.
    Here is what i have found so far, and i will follow up with some images, so others can verify or debunk.

The Steel Helmet:
    - The steel shell is from Later half of '43 based on the fixed chinstrap loops and the 726C Stamp.
    - Made by McCord
    - Stainless Steel Rim with front seem

The Helmet Liner
    - High Pressure Liner.
    - Made by Seaman Paper company. (S 6 stamp)
    - Date of the liner is a little bit trickier to put, so if anyone has an input there, please help
    I estimate it to late '43 to mid '44.

So is there anything i have missed or am wrong about?
    Also, written on the straps inside the liner are "1 D M" if anyone have any idea what that mean.
    (see images bellow)

Images

Steel Shell on right, Liner on left
    WW2 M1 with liner

Steel Shell on right, Liner on left
    WW2 M1 with liner

Steel Shell stamp
    WW2 M1 with liner

Chinstrap Loop
    WW2 M1 with liner

Chinstrap Hook/latch
    WW2 M1 with liner

Liner Inside
    WW2 M1 with liner

Liner further inside (1 D M)
    WW2 M1 with liner

Adjuster + Liner strap
    WW2 M1 with liner

Liner Stamp
    WW2 M1 with liner

Great looking helmet! I would carefully adjust the sweat band so it's on the main part of the webbing unless you received it like that. Currently it is resting where the neck strap goes.

Quote by Politefaun View Post
    Great looking helmet! I would carefully adjust the sweat band so it's on the main part of the webbing unless you received it like that. Currently it is resting where the neck strap goes.
    How its pictures is how it was found, but yes, not only is it attached to the wrong spot there, but it also has the adjusment clasp towards the right front of the helmet, and not in the back of it
    im a little shifty about ajusting and tampering with it though, even if the webbing and internals are in well good shape, and pretty solid.

OK, i went and did the sweat band readjustment, result can be seen here:
    WW2 M1 with liner

i also found this hiding under it where the neckband goes (neckband seems to be missing)
    WW2 M1 with liner

I believe it says P.K.W, although i cant really make out the middle letter. probably Initials?
    EDIT: some research leads me to think that it stands for "Paul K. Weil Co." who made sweatbands and cotton fabrics for the helmet.

EDIT2:
    Found this on the sweatband itself.
    WW2 M1 with liner

which is Springfield Leather Products Co. Unfortunatly the date is missing, either intentionally or it has been sweated away.

Looking good! Definitely understand the hesitancy to "fix it" I don't like to mess around much with the WW2 liners. I have a liner with the same PKW marking and that research sounds right to me.

Very nice lid. Condition is very good.
    John

All looks very nice and original to me too. Nice find.