Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 M1 McCord fixed bale front seam

Article about: I recently acquired a big collection of M1 helmets, liners, covers and parts for £100. I finally got round to going through what I had bought and managed to put back together 5 complete helm

Default WW2 M1 McCord fixed bale front seam

I recently acquired a big collection of M1 helmets, liners, covers and parts for £100. I finally got round to going through what I had bought and managed to put back together 5 complete helmets from the mix of what he had. This one is a front seam fixed bale McCord with the heat stamp of 333C (dates to late 1942) but has been stamped twice (see picture). The liner is a rarer early Firestone liner with the galvanised steel A washers which dates this liner between late 1942 to early 1943. The headband is the stamped steel buckle type and crocodile clips all painted in green as introduced in 1942 before changing to blackened brass in 1944. It also has a mid 1944 blackened brass buckle liner chin strap by United Carr.
    If I've missed anything out let me know guys and thanks for looking
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 M1 McCord fixed bale front seam   WW2 M1 McCord fixed bale front seam  

WW2 M1 McCord fixed bale front seam   WW2 M1 McCord fixed bale front seam  

WW2 M1 McCord fixed bale front seam  
    Last edited by Redstalker; 01-06-2017 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake on title

Nice one Ian, I think with this result you have made back most of what you paid for the parts bundle.

I know some purests will disagree and whilst it is nice to have a helmet with provenance that one can believe has had the same parts since issue, I feel the M1 is something of an exception to the "all orignal" principle. Unlike most other combat helmets it always was a kind of "modular" design in which all the parts (possibly excepting the chinstrap and I am certain they were replaced in unit workshops) were readliy replaceable. So, and it is merely my opinion of course, I doubt one could ever say that an M1 helmet never had any parts replaced even including a '44 liner strap on a '42 helmet. If a replaceable part breaks a soldier fixes it or replaces it. Basic equipment husbandry dictates that (maintaining serviceability) and of course the ministrations of the Sgt Maj!!

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

I totally agree Mark it would be nice to have all my helmets with provenance but it is hard thing to acquire especially living in the U.K. The M1s versatility with parts that can interchange between WW2 helmets to Vietnam war helmets is a testament to an ingenious helmet design which spanned 4 decades. I have to rely on the info gained here and through the books I own to get these helmets back to a more original state as when they were originally issued. I get a lot of enjoyment from what I do and hopefully I am helping to preserve history for future generations.

It's a great helmet, seems it might have been re-painted post WW2 but that could be just the photo?

Hi earlymb here is a close up pic of the paint under natural light
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 M1 McCord fixed bale front seam  
    Last edited by Redstalker; 01-06-2017 at 07:43 PM.

Double stamp oh yeh,very nice Ian,not too many of these shells about,good overall put together.!

The double stamp is the best part about this lid thanks Jake

The paint seems a bit browner than usual but the ground cork no doubt is original and I see no other colour, so I think the paint is most likely original factory.