Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ww2 m1 usn ?

Article about: Morning friends, I hope is everyone is ok. Havent posted for a while, but thought I would share this with you and see what your thoughts were... Found this M1 badly listed on ebay. When it a

?

Default Ww2 m1 usn ?

Morning friends,
    I hope is everyone is ok. Havent posted for a while, but thought I would share this with you and see what your thoughts were...
    Found this M1 badly listed on ebay. When it arrived it was covered in a horrible gloss black paint. I thought i could just about make something out underneath so tried stripping the paint off -eek! It actually came off really easily, and quickly, and this is what is underneath...!
    I know nothing about these, helmets, but was up late into the night researching - could it be a USN beach party helmet?
    Would really appreciate any thoughts...
    Many thanks,
    Shaun
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ww2 m1 usn ?   Ww2 m1 usn ?  

Ww2 m1 usn ?  

Yowza! That's quite a find! Looks like a genuine D-Day beach party helmet. Any photos taken outdoors in natural light?

Pat

Shaun congratulations on a potentially nice helmet. Do you have pictures of the helmet with better lighting? Can we see the one remaining chinstrap?

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

?

Thank you for the comments Marty and Pat - sorry, I didn't realise the photos were so dark. I've have retaken them in my conservatory, I hope these are better? There does not look to be much paint left on top, it may possibly have been used as a cooking pot at some point! The stripe has survived quite well though - not sure what the strange mark is on the back though?

Thanks as always for your comments...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ww2 m1 usn ?   Ww2 m1 usn ?  

Ww2 m1 usn ?   Ww2 m1 usn ?  

Ww2 m1 usn ?  

Thank you for the new pictures. I have zero issues with the helmet and say congratulations. The pictures are still dark to evaluate the back of the helmet or to see the paint lose.

Marty

?

Thank you very much Marty, great news. Apologies again for the quality of pics - probably because it hasn't stopped raining here in the UK for the past week!

I've re taken some photos from the back - see what you think? I wondered if it might be gas detection paint?

Can i just ask, do you now if the grey stripe is specific to USN D Day beach battalions, or were they used elsewhere?

Thanks again, really approciate your help...

Ww2 m1 usn ?  

Nice helmet! I can't work out whether the marking on the rear is vesicant anti gas paint or some sort of unit insignia. If there is any vesicant paint DO NOT use any chemical cleaning products on it as these will react with it.

?

Thanks for the advice BlackCat. I don't think I'll touch it again...

Would be nice to find out if the marking is unit insignia though, it does seem to be similar paint to the SKIP at the front, quite thick. hmmm!

- - ------- - -

Would be nice to find out if the marking is unit insignia though, it does seem to be similar paint to the SKIP at the front, quite thick. hmmm!

?

Better pictures. The back does look like vesicant paint but not sure and possibly applied in a circular pattern. As for the stripe linked to a particular Batt. I can’t answer but I don’t believe it is. As for the helmet being a D-Day helmet..... well it depends on which D-Day, any beach assault would be called D-Day but to link it to 6/6/44 would be impossible without a name attached to the helmet. You found a diamond in the rough and the helmet may not be in best condition but I believe you saved a piece of history and for I say Thank you.

Marty

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast