Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ww2 usn carpenters mate m1 helmet

Article about: Hi Guys. I just got this one recently. It is my centerpiece. I had to let go of a few Post War lids I had and a couple WW2s to obtain it. I collect German Navy Helmets from WWII and all the

Default Ww2 usn carpenters mate m1 helmet

Hi Guys. I just got this one recently. It is my centerpiece. I had to let go of a few Post War lids I had and a couple WW2s to obtain it.

I guess my soul identifies with sailors somehow. The strong traditions. The fellowship. The loneliness felt on the sea sometimes. The unpredictability of storms in the ocean …. with the waves crashing over the sides. Also …. the joy and anticipation of returning home to port to Sweethearts, Family and Friends.
    (And…….Maybe ….. the heavy drinking and tattoos from my earlier days as well. Haha)

I collect German Navy Helmets from WWII and all the while have been collecting American M1s which I have always loved equally as much. I have owned a bunch of OD Green Steel Pots but was drawn to the Blues and Grays of the Navy Lids. This one belonged to a Carpenters Mate 1st Class named Carroll Blaney from Baltimore. He enlisted in 1936 as a Seaman 1C and became a CM1C in Sept 1944. So he grinded it out for many years to obtain this rate (A fully detailed ... researched history of this man and his exploits are on GHW Forum as well as an in depth analysis of the Helmet). The Helmet itself is a McCord Fixed Loop 629A w a Westinghouse Liner. Both are named with what appears to be fountain pen. Stuck in the crown was a handwritten note as well. I assume written at the request of a buyer or as someone noted perhaps he just put it there so his family knew what it was.

It is the Nicest Navy M1 Helmet I have ever come across and I am humbled by it .... and by the man ... He represents a lot to me. A Blue Collar ...Working Class ...Irish American who fought (and worked) throughout the Entirety of WW2. After the War he Joined the Air Force and after that he joined the Army. He passed away in 2009 and is buried at Arlington National Cemetery. He was a Real GI JOE

Thanks for looking!
    Z

I took some photos close by Brooklyn Navy Yard as well... According to Muster Rolls .... Blaney reported for duty here and departed from here a few times

Addl ... I have a couple more not pictured

That is a very nice lid with good provenance. Congrats. My father and his two brothers all served in the USN during WWII. All came back.
    John

Quote by Rescue190 View Post
    That is a very nice lid with good provenance. Congrats. My father and his two brothers all served in the USN during WWII. All came back.
    John
    Wow John. That sounds like a Proud Naval Tradition if I have ever heard one. I assume they probably bumped into each other at different ports and things during their service? Must have been comforting to them.

I found all Blaneys muster rolls and ships he was on ... when and where and did a whole study on GHW. It was really rewarding. Once I get his personnel file form the Archives I hope to get some pics and more info.

Thank you

Z

Wonderful helmet. I can see why it has become a centerpiece.

Lovely helmet & great shots too!

Amazing helmet! The rate painted on the front is something I've never seen before on a navy helmet.

MAP
    ?

So it made the top shelf!

Fantastic find! Great history as well

Now to get some accompanying pieces to add to the display. Like a nice Mk II knife, some insignia, etc...
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post
    So it made the top shelf!

Fantastic find! Great history as well

Now to get some accompanying pieces to add to the display. Like a nice Mk II knife, some insignia, etc...
    or one of these

Quote by Politefaun View Post
    Amazing helmet! The rate painted on the front is something I've never seen before on a navy helmet.
    Thanks Steve ... It is defintely a special one! I have seen some similar ones in my travels but not as classic / by the book as this one

Zach

Ww2 usn carpenters mate m1 helmetWw2 usn carpenters mate m1 helmetWw2 usn carpenters mate m1 helmetWw2 usn carpenters mate m1 helmet

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast