MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WWII Texas 36th Infantry Division decaled M1 liner

Article about: Hello all! I got this a few years ago and am thinking of making a YouTube video on this. I never really looked at it closely, thinking decals were from the 1950's. It has two decals, the Tex

Default WWII Texas 36th Infantry Division decaled M1 liner

Hello all!

I got this a few years ago and am thinking of making a YouTube video on this. I never really looked at it closely, thinking decals were from the 1950's. It has two decals, the Texas Arrowhead and a "crest" (for lack of a better term). Did the US army have decals during WWII, or was it post-war? I have done some research, some sources saying there were decals during WWII and others just post-war. Were they used overseas or stateside or both? When I was looking at the liner closer, I also noticed that under the decals it is raised as if the insignia was painted on first, then painted over and later put decals on it. So, what I'm thinking, the liner had painted decals and then later (later in the war or post war), it was painted over and decaled. The liner is from WWII (grommet hole in front, etc...) I would like your opinions. Also if you guys have any interesting facts about the 36th Division that would be great.

You can see the outline of the insignia (it's easier to see in person, but oh well).

Hi Friend with a couple of Caveats the answer is decals and WW2 no not really. And 36th ID is not one of them. This one looks like a post war made decal as well. A WW2 produced liner that was in use after the war as so many are. The WW2 "era" decal ones were very papery and laquered I believe onto the liners. I asked this question a few months ago to the 'sperts on the USMF forum. I wanted to believe haha

Z

Consensus on Decals on WW2 Liners / Helmets - STEEL AND KEVLAR HELMETS - U.S. Militaria Forum

Yes, I know you're thinking, haha. Still interesting post-war though. Thank you! Ian

And thank you for the forum link! (I have something to read!). Ian

Ok, I did some research on the 36th Division, while I do believe that the decals are most likely post-war, there is one problem. The 36th was inactivated right after WWII (in 1945) and was not reactivated until 2004. Could the liner been used in WWII and after the war the vet put new decals on it for vet's parades or the like? Ian.

Hi Friend. Pretty sure that is a post war liner. Decals of a division (the “T”) and infantry regiment insignia (that crest) is a 1950s/1960s thang. I believe if I’m not mistaken these Texans were national guard units that were mobilized for WW2. Fought in Africa and Italy (and prob elsewhere. Just read Atkinson trilogy and these AOs came to mind). I’m sure whatever the 36th ID turned into after that war they still used the “T” for tradition. I only collect WW2 so not super tight on my post war lids so can’t detail to you exactly what year this would have been from. But def after the war IMO. Maybe someone here can explain the post war decalled liners better than I. That link that I sent above too is a great resource on all thing American M1s if you want to post up there. Or can do a search as well for your liner. Hope this is helpful!
    Z

Quote by PaddyD00 View Post
    Hi Friend with a couple of Caveats the answer is decals and WW2 no not really. And 36th ID is not one of them. This one looks like a post war made decal as well. A WW2 produced liner that was in use after the war as so many are. The WW2 "era" decal ones were very papery and laquered I believe onto the liners. I asked this question a few months ago to the 'sperts on the USMF forum. I wanted to believe haha

Z

Consensus on Decals on WW2 Liners / Helmets - STEEL AND KEVLAR HELMETS - U.S. Militaria Forum
    Great thread and can confirm on the WW2 "decals" basically being paper glued onto the helmet or liner. My WW2 era M1 has an army service forces "decal" (they only existed from 1942 - 1946) which is paper that is being held onto the liner with some glue.

Quote by Politefaun View Post
    Great thread and can confirm on the WW2 "decals" basically being paper glued onto the helmet or liner. My WW2 era M1 has an army service forces "decal" (they only existed from 1942 - 1946) which is paper that is being held onto the liner with some glue.
    Yup ...Agreed..Def. A few units did. And more so in the WW2 "era" (post war) occupation times. I recommend OP posts this on USMF and see what replies he gets if he wants more answers . Its just my opinion that its post war (even way after occupation) but a pretty solid one methinks. I think its an awesome set OP has. Politefaun PM me (or post) that M1 wanna check it out! (maybe I have seen before). Have a good day gentleman

Z

Sorry, for the late reply! Yes, after reading the thread, I do believe the decals are post WWII. I found that the 36th was also a National Guard or reserves unit after the war until 1959. So, it makes sense that they are from that time period. Ian

Nice liner! There appears to be a nape strap in the rear of the liner on the inside. This is the short piece of webbing which fixes to the liner with 4 poppers. If you can read the contract number that is printed on this then you will be able to confirm or otherwise when the liner was produced.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast