Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Brit/USA Jeep hood number help...

Article about: Hi all Am having lots of work done on my 1943 GPW this winter. Its now being prepared for a repaint and on rub down I was keen to see what (if any) markings came up... The Jeep itself was is

Default Brit/USA Jeep hood number help...

Hi all

Am having lots of work done on my 1943 GPW this winter. Its now being prepared for a repaint and on rub down I was keen to see what (if any) markings came up...

The Jeep itself was issued to the US Army and came to the UK before being passed over to the British under lend lease, it served with them until the 1950s.

I pulled its Key Card and found that its wartime British serial number was M5557617, so was very pleased when the rub down came across this number under a few various shades as seen in picture below...

Under that though was a USA number but it appears to be S 9649 - 2 (see pics) not something I have ever seen or heard of, its estimated hood number for the US is 20420565. It also was in a very fetching red at some point and it appears that may have been with the military as its quite deep down and isn't a primer, again any thoughts at all?

Thanks in advance

Steve
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Brit/USA Jeep hood number help...   Brit/USA Jeep hood number help...  

Brit/USA Jeep hood number help...   Brit/USA Jeep hood number help...  

Hi Steve, very nice to confirm the WD census number like this.

All US Jeep registration numbers should start "20", as you know, so I have no idea on this other number?

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Hi Ade

Yes was well pleased when the documents tied up with the 'archaeology' but slightly mystified by the other number as the evidence now points to it being the original bonnet, nothing ever easy is it!!

Cheers
    Steve