Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

BSA Mk.V bicycle

Article about: Most people will be familiar with the BSA folding para bicycle, but BSA also produced a more conventional military bicycle, based on a civilian tourer: the Mk. V. A development of the WW1-er

Default BSA Mk.V bicycle

Most people will be familiar with the BSA folding para bicycle, but BSA also produced a more conventional military bicycle, based on a civilian tourer: the Mk. V.

A development of the WW1-era Mk.IV, the Mk.V was introduced in 1939 as a simple but rugged bicycle for general service. It was also used by the US forces based in the UK, and after WW2 a lot ended up in the Belgian and Dutch armies. In fact, most surviving examples are ex-Belgian, who released their stock in the 1990's.

There are 2 versions: the Mk.V which has a coaster break hub in the rear wheel and a single stirrup hand brake lever for the front wheel; and the Mk.V* (introduced in 1942) which has stirrup handbrakes front and back (and a double lever). I believe production of both versions stopped in 1945; unfortunately there are no surviving serial number lists and it is not possible to date one by its frame number. The Mk.V was also produced by Phillips and Raleigh.

All Mk.V frames are marked 'MK V' on the left side of the frame near the saddle, and the frame number starting with 'T' at the opposite side. The Belgian bikes were also stamped 'ABL' near the frame number, which was sometimes removed and replaced.

A few weeks ago I bought, on impulse, two old ex-Dutch military bicycles. One is a Mk. V, the other one is yet unknown. I will restore the Mk. V but I will need some parts, as I basically only have the original frame, rear carrier (dated 1943), front fork and cranks. The fenders and wheels on it are old but not original, although they will do till original parts can be located.

BSA Mk.V bicycle

BSA Mk.V bicycle

BSA Mk.V bicycle

BSA Mk.V bicycle

BSA Mk.V bicycle

BSA Mk.V bicycle

BSA Mk.V bicycle

BSA Mk.V bicycle

BSA Mk.V bicycle

There are only a few websites about the Mk.V so I'm learning on the way. I'd also be interested to hear from anyone who might have parts for these...

Very cool bike. Good luck on your restoration project.
    John

What a great find.

Yep that is a find Very nice

Thanks! This the other bike, whose ID is not known yet. It's old however and I might restore it as a 1930's Dutch army bike. The Mk.V will come first though. Good thing is that I can work on it in the house, something that was frowned upon with the jeep

BSA Mk.V bicycle

It helps if I attach a pic. Luggage rack and front fork are relatively modern, and one of the wheels will go to the Mk.V.

?

rely a nice piece!!

Hi, any restoration upgrade? Regards

In fact yes, I gathered a few original bits & pieces (but still miss original fenders and wheels) and mostly stripped the frame of paint. I did find the frame tube going from the pedal cranck up to the saddle has a hairline crack that needs to be sorted first. I do have a welder but not much experience, and I will practice a bit on some scrap sheet metal first.

BSA Mk.V bicycle

BSA Mk.V bicycle

?

keep at it & you will get it. a gem in the rough!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast