Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Giant spanners!

Article about: I've had these for a very long time, having picked them up for £2 each. I've always assumed that they were for tanks / armoured vehicles but would be grateful if somebody could confirm for m

Default Giant spanners!

I've had these for a very long time, having picked them up for £2 each. I've always assumed that they were for tanks / armoured vehicles but would be grateful if somebody could confirm for me. They are over 2' long and very, very heavy! They are both dated 1943.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Giant spanners!   Giant spanners!  

Giant spanners!   Giant spanners!  

I wouldn't doubt for a minute that these size spanners were used on tanks etc!...

i found one of the same spanners in the hull of my chuchill

I had an old wooden ammo box at work that had several of these spanners in, they'd been there since the mid '60's at least. Welded one to a 3ft steel bar to use for adjusting/changing the blades on my 8ft Cincinnati guillotine.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.