Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

My GI built motorcycle.

Article about: Well just thought I would post up a quick video of my GI built motorcycle. The G.I. Bike was built sometime between 1943 and 45, and was said to have been built by 3 Navy sailors during the

Default My GI built motorcycle.

Well just thought I would post up a quick video of my GI built motorcycle. The G.I. Bike was built sometime between 1943 and 45, and was said to have been built by 3 Navy sailors during the war. The sailors rode Indian Motorcycles before the war, and set this bike up with similar controls. These consist of a left hand throttle, right hand shift lever, left foot clutch, and right foot brake. There is no front brake. It’s thought these sailors were in an aviation maintenance unit. Most all the fasteners are either safety wired or double nut locked. This motorcycle is an amalgamation of salvaged parts. The wheels and tires are from a Navy MK2 bomb cart. The brake system is adapted from a Jeep. Hydraulic brakes would not be found on production motorcycles until the 1960s. The transmission is a T84 from a Ford Jeep. It has been modified so that it no longer shifts into reverse. The seat mount is modified from a Jeep leaf spring. The engine is a Wisconsin AB 3hp, most likely from a generator or pump. The throttle cable is a modified Jeep speedometer cable. The headlight is modified from a Navy box flashlight. The frame and bodywork are all handmade of a custom design. The frame incorporates a lock that secures the steering for safe keeping while parked. Though it is unknown as to whom the men were who built this motorcycle, what is known is that it was found in Texas after the war. It eventually made its way to a small museum in Kansas and was purchased from the museum by an individual. I then acquired it from them.

https://youtu.be/MDQ5Vwr14Us

Hope you all like it.
    Devin

That is TOO COOL!!!! Thanks for showing.

Mart

?

What is clattering on the bike ?
    American bike riders ingenuity.

The chattering is the flywheel cover for the engine. For some reason the guys that built it took off all the mounts except the very top. I have tried wedging foam under it, but it only holds for a little while. I will probably make a mount for it. I really don't want to change anything about this bike. So the work I have done up to this point has been the least intrusive as possible. When I can I use original parts. The original seat was in very poor shape. So I made a new cover and applied it over the original seat.

Here are a couple of photos from when I got the bike, before I had done anything to it.

gi bike 2 by Devin, on Flickr

gi bike1 by Devin, on Flickr

gi bike 4 by Devin, on Flickr

The bit hanging off the front of the engine is a drain and a sight glass for checking your oil level.
    gi bike 5 by Devin, on Flickr

?

Man you are gifted friend.

I love it!
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Never seen anything like this before! Really interesting!

What a great little bike. I can see the Indian influence.