Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My new Austin Champ

Article about: Hi Simon, good to hear you are back on track with your project. Looking good. Cheers, Ade.

Default My new Austin Champ

Hi all
    I recently bought an Austin Champ 1/4 ton truck from a guy I had ironically met back in 1987 and had lost contact with until now.

It is chassis number 1624, engine number 3079. It had a Base Overhaul on April 1961 from B269 (Henlys at Weston Super Mare) where it seems a large number of vehicles went to get repaired/overhauled.

My new Austin Champ

It somehow ended in Cairns, Queensland around the 1970's and eventually found its way in NSW. I will be interested in tracing its history, as it appears in original condition. The Base Overhaul would have apparently made it "as new' and the tacho reset to 0.

It has now been dismantled, and I am hoping to bring it down to Sydney in about 3 months time.

My new Austin Champ

My new Austin Champ

My new Austin Champ

Regards

Simon

?

Default Re: My new Austin Champ

Wow nice find.....would be interesting to know how it ended up in cairns!!!

Thanks
    I also think it was a good find. I probably think they would have been a batch of Champs that would have come through Western Australia back in the 60's. They may have been sold through the sales yards of Ruddington, although I am unsure.
    I will try and contact the original owner and see what he says.

Simon

Hi Simon, Ruddington was where I grew up and my family is from. Looking at vehicles at the depot is what got me into all of this I think.

She looks in fairly good order. Thanks for the pics.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

This is some more information from its records:
    Chassis: WN1-1624 Condition: 1 WO Reg: 16 BE 24 Engine: 3079 DiS: 15 JAN 1953 RV: GEO/R/3051 Struck Off: RUDDINGTON 11 JAN 1967 [EX TA-UK]. Sold: PRIVATE SALE TO AUSTRALIAN DEALER.

yg70
    ?

Hi mate - great find. I've been looking for a champ for a bit so keen to find out how you found this prize piece. Good luck with the revamp. What she pricy???

Cheers
    Graeme

?

"New" as used in the losest term possible ;-)

Its no Champ though; its a Truck, 1/4 ton, CT, 4×4, cargo & FFW, Austin Mk.1!!
    Just kidding. I had to look it up to see how it looked in drivable condition. Looks like a great little motor.

Look forward to seeing & hearing more about the progress of the Champ.

I guess it's a bit of a Champ for having survived all those years and still be in very good condition! It is very much complete, with oly a few small parts missing and it turned out to be about AUD$4,500.00. I haven't started the restoration on it yet. I am hoping to pick it up in the next month or so and bring it down to Sydney. Then the fun will start!!
    Thanks for the comments. Will keep you posted.
    Cheers
    Simon

?

Needs a Vickers, remember that!

Hi all
    I know it's been a very long time between posts, however work, a messy divorce and just time going too fast got the better of me!
    I completely dismantled the old girl and started doing a bit of soda blasting on her

I was also lucky enough to manage to buy a NOS chassis from a guy in Melbourne and I will now use this chassis and repair/paint the old one.

I am using Norglass paints which are used in the boating industry here in Australia. I am using a 2 pack red oxide primer then a 2 pack Deep Bronze Green for the body and a 2 pack Sky Blue for the engine. I have noticed on the original 1959 manual girl the Champ that parts such as the starter motor, generator etc seem to be in a darker colour (like black) How accurate would it be if I painted such items the same, even though my engine has been base overhauled and thus painted in Sky a Blue?
    More photos to come

Simon
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My new Austin Champ   My new Austin Champ  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast