Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Need Help Identifing Object

Article about: Hello everyone! My name is bill and I enjoy learning about WWII events and weapons. My dad and my father in law were both in WWII. I hope to get some help in identifying what is likely a war

choctawbill
    ?

Default Need Help Identifing Object

Hello everyone! My name is bill and I enjoy learning about WWII events and weapons. My dad and my father in law were both in WWII. I hope to get some help in identifying what is likely a war souvenir my wife recently found in her father's things. It meant something to him because it was wrapped up in a paper-aluminum foil product not just thrown in a box.

It looks like it might be part of a weapon. It has what look like proof marks on the concave surface. There is a slight twist to the object. It is made of heavy steel. "88.3" has been hammered into the edge of what looks like a finger grip area on the object.

My father in law served in England in the RAF and later moved to the US Army Air Corp after the US entered the war. He flew the Bristol Beaufighter which had 303 machine guns and 20mm canon.

Your help in identifying what this is would be appreciated.

Need Help Identifing ObjectNeed Help Identifing ObjectNeed Help Identifing Object

What you have there is either a turbine or compressor blade from a jet engine. The serrations are a locking method whereby individual blades lock into a rotor disc. The serrated section is the blade root, in this case called a 'fir tree' root. It mates to a serrated groove in the rotor disc and is held in place by a side locking plate covering both serrations. There are a couple of other methods of locking blades, one is a dovetail fitting, the other simply has a hole in the blade root with a corresponding locking pin.

First guess is that it's from a British Armstrong/Bristol Siddeley Viper engine, circa 1953 onwards, an axial flow turbojet. It was mainly used in the BAC Jet Provost and Strikemaster as well as the Aermacchi MB-339 in RAF service.

Cheers, Willie.

Need Help Identifing Object

there you have it big Willie has it !

choctawbill
    ?

Willie, thank you very much!

The photo you attached appears to be a perfect match to this item.

After the war, my father in law came back to the states and worked for Allison Engines in their jet manufacturing operation. This must be a souvenir from his days at Allison rather than from the war.

Thanks again!