Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Now Something completely different- Wartime London Buses!

Article about: A bit tenuous on this forum I guess so if not appropriate and removed by mods I understand, but thought it would be of interest to some showing a bit of my day job. Amongst the modern standa

Default Now Something completely different- Wartime London Buses!

A bit tenuous on this forum I guess so if not appropriate and removed by mods I understand, but thought it would be of interest to some showing a bit of my day job. Amongst the modern standard buses we restore old vehicles and do film, wedding and corporate work, some of which utilises wartime buses. So heres a few of them and their stories.

First up is a 1940 RT double deck. Ran throughout wartime London and was damaged by a V1 in August 1944. Sold to the USA in 1955, we repatriated it in 2006 in the condtion you see in photo 1 and after four years of work returned it to the condition in the second picture.

Default Re: Now Something completely different- Wartime London Buses!

Next up is a 1935 vehicle that we recovered from a back garden in the UK. These vehicles operated in the rural suburbs of London and were often strafed by tip and run fighter sweeps. They also had such small capacity that they had their seats all turned round to be peripheral to make for more standing room. A three years restoration took it from pic 1 to the condition in pic 2.

They look fantastic mate!

Last shots are of two vehicles under restoration as we speak, both should be ready this year.

The first shot is how we recovered from Australia a 1938 ex London Transport Green Line coach. These were the fastest vehicles London owned and on Sept 3, 1939 when war was declared the entire fleet were withdrawn and converted to Ambulances being able to fit in 12 stretchers. They were placed around London and would all venture into central town when there was a large raid, our example was based at Hendon during the war. Most were returned to bus work in 1943 but ours remained with the EMS as an ambulance until the end of hostilities, before returning to London work and then being exported to Aus as a school bus

Last vehicle is 1937 and was new to Southdown who operated around the South Coast. It was requistioned to be used for the evacuation of children from London at the outbreak of war. The rest of her batch were used by the RASC and never returned, presumably, lost destroyed or abandoned throughout Europe. This one has been in preservation for many years but has been 'let go' and we are now putting it back to just pre war condition.

Hope thats of interest to some!

Steve

Some history there alright, great photos!....

Good to see these old buses restored to their former glory.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Love your job! And the vehicles!
    cheers
    |<ris
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

?

Fantastic work and results!

Chapeau!

Fantastic work Steve your doing mate.you make me proud to be a Londoner,thanks for the great pics,regards Dave.

Thank you all for the kind comments, I will keep this thread updated as the two in restoration eventually near a return to the road!

Steve

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast