Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Photos of a WW2 Canadian Tank pushing a "Snake"

Article about: Thats very interesting, Thank You Dean O

?

Default Photos of a WW2 Canadian Tank pushing a "Snake"

I bought a large collection of Armoured photos this week. These ones show a Tank pushing a "Snake" For those that don't know what a snake is, it is like a bangalor torpedio, except the entire length is filled with explosives, that Tank pushes it forward then backs away, the snake is set off and it clears a path through a mine field. I have never seen photos of a snake in use before.
    The brown envelope is full of the original negitives of these and many other photos I have.
    The Name on it is that of "The Father of the Canadian Armoured Corp" Perhaps they were his, as I have never seen any of the photos before

Dean O
    Canada

Photos of a WW2 Canadian Tank pushing a "Snake"Photos of a WW2 Canadian Tank pushing a "Snake"Photos of a WW2 Canadian Tank pushing a "Snake"Photos of a WW2 Canadian Tank pushing a "Snake"Photos of a WW2 Canadian Tank pushing a "Snake"Photos of a WW2 Canadian Tank pushing a "Snake"

?

Interesting images Dean I have never even heard of one before any thought to how these are detonated once they have them in place send up a runner with a zippo in hand

Regards Mark

?

Well I would think an electric switch, however I am unsure as I have never seen a real one, or found much info on them.

DEan O

?

It would be interesting to know as you stated if these were set off electrically and or possibly used some sort of a pull cord type of detonator as both variations were used on the Bangalore torpedoes .

Regards Mark
    Attached Images Attached Images Photos of a WW2 Canadian Tank pushing a "Snake" 

?

That would probably the way, but as the entire length of the tube is full, I would think you would have to be a good distance from it when it went off, and getting out of a tank under fire to set it, well I don't think that would be a good idea, so I am leaning toward electric.

Dean O

?

You are very probably correct Dean I am rather curious if these were adopted and used in the ETO at all .

Regards Mark

?

Very interesting,here`s a guide I got when I visited Camp Borden many years ago.....Pete.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Photos of a WW2 Canadian Tank pushing a "Snake"   Photos of a WW2 Canadian Tank pushing a "Snake"  

JEDEM DAS SEINE

?

I make donations to that Base Borden Museum when I can, they are going to borrow bits of my personal WW1 Collection the the 100 anny of the Camp next year..love the guys that run it, with so little money!!!

Dean O

Canada

nice mk2 Churchill pushing the snake, I don't think the idea caught on. it would be easy to stop a snake or even detonate it prematurely if it were to strike a tank mine. it wouldn't destroy the tank but it might shake the fillings out of the crews teeth.

The system used operationally was called 'Conger Eel'-rocket was fired dragging a hose behind it that was then pumped full of liquid explosive and detonated to clear a path through the mine field-was mounted on a Bren Carrier but was very dangerous to use and was only used once at Calais.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast