Article about: Wow great cap!!

Default Re: 1920's OGPU Border Guard visor

Wow great cap!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 1920's OGPU Border Guard visor
    P
    Many

Default Re: 1920's OGPU Border Guard visor

Looks like WW1 Tsarist stocks of visor were used on these early Soviet caps . Great pieces

?

Here is another one.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1920's OGPU Border Guard visor  

1- 50s - post 1953r, actually - star-cockarde.

2- Fake chinstrap.

2- Artificially distressed (on the edges) visor.

This seems to be an early 2000s example of the fakes purveyed as "original & authentic" by a few unscrupulous eBay sellers and a certain "expert" Soviet dealer that hails/hailed from New Jersey, USA.

And the latter is NOT Igor at Atlantic Crossroads.
    Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam!

?

Wish you see could this cap in person.

?

Ritchie:

Thank you for your opinion. I apologize for the quality, perspective and angle of the single picture, so I can understand the underlying basis for your judgement. I should have posted a better photo that showed the cap to better advantage.

Over the few days I have read all of the posts on visor caps on this forum, and I can see that there is much knowledge and passion about this topic.

Yes, the star and strap appear to be replaced. Although the star maybe of 1950's origin, the strap exhibits all of the characteristics of a period piece that has been laquered.

In regards to the actual cap, I respectfully disagree with your judgement about this particular item.

Based on my observations and experience, I can honestly say that the cap exhibits the traits and construction of a late Imperial Russian and/or 1920's period cap. I say this after taking the time to research this cap, examine other examples and review all visor cap posts on this (and other) forum(s). The wear and condition of the cap is also consistent with a period piece. In my opinion, this example does not share traits of that type of cap you assert to be a reproduction. The wear and condition of the cap is also consistent with a period piece.

I thought many days before making this post, and I don't take this disagreement with the Adminstrator lightly. However, I just cannot allow something I know to be true remain unsaid. Although I appreciate your input, I also hope you can understand my position.

I posted the cap in an effort to share another example and generate some more dialogue on this subject. Not to stir up controversy. I am glad that I have met my goal, and that we are having this conversation!

So be it.

If you're comfortable with it, that's all that matters.

On that note, I own a baling-wired SS M35 Stahlhelm that was picked apart on a forum once. It's one of the centerpieces in my collection and it still thrills me, whenever I see it in my glass case or pick it to admire it in all it's facets. Nothing can change that.

Cheers,
    Richie
    Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2