Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Verwundetenabzeichen 1939 in Silber, 92

Article about: Hi, this is my first collectible! :D I compared with other images on this forum to check whether it is authentic Couple of questions: * How do you best maintain such items? From what I have

?

Default Verwundetenabzeichen 1939 in Silber, 92

Hi, this is my first collectible! :D I compared with other images on this forum to check whether it is authentic

Couple of questions:

* How do you best maintain such items? From what I have read, is to just leave them untouched. (no products etc)
    * How do you determine if it is a rare/uncommon maker? (I'm guessing based on reference books?)
    * I'm considering buying an original case for it. Did Silver wound badges always come with one?

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Verwundetenabzeichen 1939 in Silber, 92
    P
    Many

Looks like a good one to me. A zinc badge with the typical bubbling under the silver. Zinc awards have a tendency to absorb their finishes, leaving them with a flat grey appearance, so you've done pretty well with this one. '92' is the maker's mark for Josef Ruckert & Sohn, Gablonz. Not sure if this maker is a hard one to find or not; others may be able to chime in there.

As for the case, it's entirely up to you whether to find one or not. These were sometimes issued in LDO-marked cases, and some can be found with stickers on them to denote the maker. Finding a case for a specific maker would not be an easy task, and even then, it wouldn't be 'original' to the award. Personally, I've always found them easier to display without a case, as they can be placed inside a Riker mount or on a small plastic stand. It really is down to personal preference.

Regards, B.B.

Welcome to the forum!
    It is an original by the maker Josef Rücker & Sohn, Gablonz.
    You can compare with my example posted here.
    Verwundetenabzeichen 1939 in Silber, 92, Josef Rücker & Sohn, Gablonz
    The maker's mark is found in slightly different locations of the reverse, sometimes right in the middle, and sometimes off to the left like yours.
    I don't believe these are normally found with a case.
    Ralph.

P.S. I suggest you try to edit, and resave your photos so that they display in the correct orientation.
    Members are more willing to help if they don't have to strain their necks to view the photos.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Quote by BrodieBartfast View Post
    These were sometimes issued in LDO-marked cases, and some can be found with stickers on them to denote the maker.
    Regards, B.B.
    This would be a PKZ number so, not found in an LDO marked case anyways.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Well done. Regarding handling - keep it in a cool, dry place out of sunlight. Don't handle it a lot. If you do handle it to put it in a display, you might consider wearing white cloth gloves like museum staff. I have a pair of them handy. These also came with paper packets and you might have a better time finding one of those instead of a case. I have paired some of my awards with their packets and ribbons for display in case. The attached photo shows one of my displays with an awards case. NeilVerwundetenabzeichen 1939 in Silber, 92

Quote by rbminis View Post
    This would be a PKZ number so, not found in an LDO marked case anyways.
    Ralph.
    Thanks for the clarification, Ralph. I was thinking of the unmarked cases with a sticker on the front denoting the maker, like this one: Silver Wound Badge Case for Hauptmunzamt, Wien "30" - Epic Artifacts

Not LDO cases, though. My mistake!

Also, to add some notes on conservation. As with any artifacts, too much handling is the most frequent cause of wear and damage. The oils found on human skin can cause corrosion of metals, and the more you handle a piece, the more likely you are to accidentally drop it! Only handle things when necessary, and then only while wearing cotton or nitrile gloves. I prefer the latter, as it allows you to 'feel' the badges without any skin-on-metal contact taking place.

The best means of display are those that keep the dust off, as dust attracts moisture, which promotes corrosion. Riker mounts are the best if you can get them, as they allow easy storage, handling and display of multiple badges. Soft plastic medal wallets work too, but beware of non-archival ones. If left in contact with non-archival plastics for a long period of time, a film will form on the surface of metal items as they break down and release their constituent chemicals.

As for climate, as a general rule: if the climate of a room is comfortable for you, it's fine for your collection!

B.B.

?

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

I reuploaded the images as suggested

As for the case, I did encounter this one: ratisbon's | Case to Wound Badge in Silver - Hauptmunzamt Wien | DISCOVER GENUINE MILITARIA, ANTIQUES & COINS but a plastic stand / riker mount might indeed be a better/easier option to display. (and a bit cheaper as well...)

Quote by tipper View Post
    Thanks for the feedback everyone!

I reuploaded the images as suggested

As for the case, I did encounter this one: ratisbon's | Case to Wound Badge in Silver - Hauptmunzamt Wien | DISCOVER GENUINE MILITARIA, ANTIQUES & COINS but a plastic stand might indeed be a better/easier option to display. (and a bit cheaper as well...)
    Thank you for making that correction.

That case would be for a wound badge marked with a "30" for that maker.
    Ralph.