Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Verwundetenabzeichen Condor Legion

Article about: Just picked up this early wound badge oft refered to as "Condor Legion" but we know that these were actually issued for a short period until the '39 version came out. Been looking

MAP
    ?

Default Verwundetenabzeichen Condor Legion

Just picked up this early wound badge oft refered to as "Condor Legion" but we know that these were actually issued for a short period until the '39 version came out.

Been looking for one for a while. I am not well versed in these but know (or have read) that they were probably made on WW1 dies that were modified.

It was advertised as a Silver version but in hand I can see minimal traces of what may be black paint in the nooks and cranny's on the obverse and reverse as well as more visible on the helmet. At first I thought the stuff was just gunk. But there is definitely a silver layer over the "brass" colored base medal.

Can any one opine on what is the base metal? Brass? Tombak? (again I'm not well versed in these). Weight is 0.4 Oz or 12 grams.

Either way, it looks like a good one with very nice age and great wear. Under the loop you can see real aging to the dings and scratches. But will bow to the experts.

Photos are not up to what I would like... but double click to enlarge

Regards,

Michael

"Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Verwundetenabzeichen Condor Legion
    P
    Many

That looks like a heavily worn black badge. I am under the impression, perhaps wrong, that that style and the early 1939 style black were brass? I would have suspected tombak myself. These seem so overpriced because everyone thinks they were awarded to the Condor Legion and charges too much. I like them though and would like to put together a set myself.

MAP
    ?

Thanks! I'm not really sure what the base material is. there is definitely silver plate over the brass. Not a wash or gilding. I'm sure someone can answer.

I also did not think there was a difference between the "Condor" and the pre- '39. I thought they were one and the same. But as said, I don't know. I haven't studied these

Regards,

M

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Good morning.
    Nice badge,nothing wrong with it! I think it's tombak.
    Peter

Almost certainly a worn Black, but they way that it's worn gives it a great visual effect! You're right-it does look to be coated over the brass(or Tombak?)-possibly to try and keep the black finish from revealing the brass under it, but if this was the intention, it doesn't seem to have worked very well. The silver colored primer coat may be nickel? A nice badge, in any case, and one with great character. A fine pick up.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

MAP
    ?

Thanks guys.

I agree, if I dare say so myself that it is a nice award with great character. It has a fantastic multi-layer effect that really shows that this was a very well worn award but it still is in fantastic condition. There is a story behind this one that is just itching to be told.

As to what it is made from. I think the base metal is tombak and not brass. It does not have the deeper brass color ( I think). And yes, William I think it is coated with Nickel.

Further...While I lean to this being black. I will say that I am finding almost no traces of black paint anywhere you would expect to see it being protected from the time and wear it has been exposed to (in the deep recesses and nook and crannies on the reverse)

Either way I don't really care. The award speaks for itself. It's a beautiful piece.

The seller was great to deal with and the piece was bought off of a vet