Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Verwundetenabzeichen Gold 26 BH Mayer

Article about: hello again.... I have finally acquired my first gold wound badge and while I am not concerned on authenticity, I do want to hear comment from the group as to the finish....as I've been poki

Default Verwundetenabzeichen Gold 26 BH Mayer

hello again.... I have finally acquired my first gold wound badge and while I am not concerned on authenticity, I do want to hear comment from the group as to the finish....as I've been poking around for a while it seems that maker marked 30 and 26 badges were more prevalent than others with 30 being more desirable and therefore more apt to be copied....the very first German WW2 combat badge I ever bought was a silver wound badge marked 26... I recently picked up a black pin marked L/18 BH Mayer and so the gold 26 would finish out the series....

I would like to hear from others regarding the finish, cruising the forums has given me "finish paranoia" and I would value some input.....thanks in advance

front

back

hinge

catch

BH Mayer Brothers*L/18*26*26

my wound badge collection so far....

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Verwundetenabzeichen Gold 26 BH Mayer
    P
    Many

Sorry, I didn't respond to this earlier.
    I believe this badge has been refinished. The finish just looks too thick, and obscures details.
    I also believe the pin should not have gold finish on it at the hinge, (it may have a gold tone), this would indicate it has been finished while together.
    Here is one thread on WAF about this very issue.
    Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Ralph...thanks for the feedback, once in hand I did have some finish concerns....when I get home I'll take a closer look at the finish and needle and maybe post a few more pics...thanks for the link, that was helpful...if I understand correctly, gold badge should have a gold plated pin vs painted....one thing that did look semi-correct to me was the "streaky" absorption of the finish on the reverse as I have seen that exact look in other legit but it was the obverse that initially gave me concern....David
    "Youth would be an ideal state if it came a little later in life" - Herbert Henry Asqulth

I can't really fault the reverse finish other than the pin, but the thickness on the obverse hides too many details.
    Regarding the pin. I do not have a gold 26 in my collection, but I will demonstrate with a couple of other makers as an example.
    They won't be exactly the same but I think you will get my meaning. They are both zinc examples, with a similar finish.
    Ralph.

First, a gold K&Q.

Verwundetenabzeichen Gold 26 BH Mayer Verwundetenabzeichen Gold 26 BH Mayer

Now one from Carl Wild.

Verwundetenabzeichen Gold 26 BH Mayer Verwundetenabzeichen Gold 26 BH Mayer

Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

a few more pics....it definitely appears that the pin is not gold plated or brass....the thickness of the finish in a few of the recessed spots almost looks "flakey" in appearance, it's hard to capture but I have attempted to show that on the sword pic below....

so, to put this to bed, am I to assume that this was a silver wound page that was refinished to deceive as a gold badge ?......should I do the Big Ned acetone test ?....I have to say the refinish job does look older and well done in spots....thanks again for the input !

build up on sword

pin and hinge with flaky finish

side by side with silver pin set-up

Well, let's put it this way, if you do the acetone test on the reverse, or a part of the hardware, and the finish comes off, you will know what you have.
    If the finish does not come off, you will also know what you have, no question.
    Ralph.

It still looks "thick" to me.