Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WW1 chaplains wound badge

Article about: I see them come up for sale now and then. did they ever exist? and who made them?

?

Default WW1 chaplains wound badge

I see them come up for sale now and then. did they ever exist? and who made them?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WW1 chaplains wound badge
    P
    Many

I do not believe there’s authentic. A chaplain is part of the armed services and would be awarded the same badge as anyone else that was wounded.

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

?

thank you for answering my question. when one comes up I will steer clear of it. live and learn.

I think Andrea gave you the correct answer of WAF.
    chaplains wound badge - Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums

A quote from another thread,
    "Paraphrased from Hamelman's book on Wound Badges. These badges appeared in the market place around the late 60s and were sold as wound badges issued to Chaplains who were wounded in the field. They commanded a premium price and were consiedered a rare variation to a wound badge collection. Only later was it discovered that these badges were in fact sold by the Roman Catholic monastary (Kloster Weingarten) near Boden. Apparently the monastary converted wound badges (from the stockpile of wound badges that had been stored there) by cutting out the pebbled background and affixing a cross to the top and bottom postions of the wreath. These pieces were then sold to pilgrims to raise money to repair the battle damaged monastary. It is believed that several hundred were made."

Ralph.

P.S. I would still add one to my collection.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

MAP
    ?

There was a thread on these on the forum. I'm not at home but you can try searching for it

These are fantasy but with a twist. My memory is very fuzzy on the details but I think they were original awards but then modified post war by some Nuns or something like that....not to sold as Chaplain wound badges but as trinkets...

Really need to find that thread....
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

MAP
    ?

Quote by MAP View Post
    There was a thread on these on the forum. I'm not at home but you can try searching for it

These are fantasy but with a twist. My memory is very fuzzy on the details but I think they were original awards but then modified post war by some Nuns or something like that....not to sold as Chaplain wound badges but as trinkets...

Really need to find that thread....
    Well. Ralph beat me to it by like 2 seconds.....

So Monks and not Nuns and Pilgrim trinkets...

Here is the thread here....

Verwundetenabzeichen schwarz fur Militär geistliche (priest ???? )
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Being neither wartime or even military used these hold little interest for me except perhaps in the same way other early post-war ephemera might be seen to evoke the period. I would put them in the same category as ladles and collanders or saucepans made from steel helmets and even the majority of those articles called "trench art" that were made from military items yet never saw a battlefield or military service in their new guise.

Interesting historically but that's all. I certainly see very little monetary value in them.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

guys thank you for all of the helpful information you have provided.

?

Just bear in mind that even these have been/are faked. Originals have integral hardware and are modified 81, Overhoff and Cie of Ludenscheid badges. A conversation piece and nothing more. Certainly not worth the prices often asked.

Regards
    Brett

?

am I allowed to post questions on other military forums?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast